New to Smoking in San Antonio

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rizsah

Original poster
May 31, 2020
Hey all,

New to Smoking... Currently stationed at Ft Sam Houston and decided to dive in. Yesterday I Made a 4Lb brisket (trial run) following the advice of a buddy, came out better than I expected for my 1st time (Wife wants to know what I'm making this weekend) I'm running a Masterbuilt MPS 230s that I got on sale from Bass Pro. Made a few mods already:
- Added a gasket for a better seal
- Added a SE connector hole to run my thermometer probes through
-Built a wind barrier around the bottom to protect the flame
- Used a cast iron skillet for the chunks ( Still caught fire)

My question is about adding the AMNTS. There are a few threads where guys have simply places them at the bottom and have had great TBS results. Then I've seen that creosote may be an issue. I've also seen that some guys have used the mailbox mod as a workaround. But the threads end with no update as to if it was necessary or not. I guess I can just get the tube, try it and then mailbox if needed, but was looking for advice from anyone with a similar rig.

Appreciate the help, this site is amazing. I have literally read about 8 hrs worth of threads over the weekend. GREAT INFO!

Reactions: kruizer
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky