New to forum. Tyring a youtube kielbasa recipe. Gonna add jalepano and cheese. They grind meat, add spices,wster, let dry over a fan. Smoke until 150

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Matthewmowry

Original poster
Feb 27, 2021
New to forum. Trying a kielbasa recipe from youtube. They grind, add spice and cure, stuff, let dry in front of a fan for a couple hours, smoke until 150 degrees, put them in cold water, let bloom for 3 hours. My question is, I've read in some places that one must cure the sausage for 12 to 24 hous. These guys didn't. Does cooking destroy the nitrate. Confused

Welcome from SC. I let my meats cure (marinate) in the fridge at least overnight. My understanding is this helps the cure/spices spread throughout the product - better tasting/more even cure and creates a lower internal temperature (IT) of the meat to work with when processing. IMHO - I'd recommend finding a detailed recipe here on the Forum you like and follow it. I'm sure a member or two will gladly provide you one and help get you through the process. Sometimes You Tube videographers leave out crucial parts = failure/waste of $ and possibly sickness. 🍻

Welcome from SC. I let my meats cure (marinate) in the fridge at least overnight. My understanding is this helps the cure/spices spread throughout the product - better tasting/more even cure and creates a lower internal temperature (IT) of the meat to work with when processing. IMHO - I'd recommend finding a detailed recipe here on the Forum you like and follow it. I'm sure a member or two will gladly provide you one and help get you through the process. Sometimes You Tube videographers leave out crucial parts = failure/waste of $ and possibly sickness. 🍻
Thank you

Reactions: Wurstmeister
Morning... It's sodium nitrite you want to use, not nitrate.. and yes, temperature above ~130 ish the nitrite starts to degrade.... USDA testing has shown, commercially prepared sausage with nitrite added at 156 PPM GENERALLY has ~20 PPM when the consumer gets it, or something like that...

Morning... It's sodium nitrite you want to use, not nitrate.. and yes, temperature above ~130 ish the nitrite starts to degrade.... USDA testing has shown, commercially prepared sausage with nitrite added at 156 PPM GENERALLY has ~20 PPM when the consumer gets it, or something like that...
Great reply, the finished product at 150 degrees worries me, he states anything above that will render out the fat. Ill stuff and let sit overnight

Like what's already been said, there is some great info on this site I probably read a 100 posts from daveomak when I first started on here just to learn about curing and ofcourse a number of members are just fantastic. I may be a novice but I would at least let the sausage cure and allow the flavors to develop overnight at a minimum.

Did you use a prepackaged sausage seasoning mix? A lot of those premixes have cure accelerators added so the product could be stuffed and smoked all in the same day with no issue.
Hi country wild game curing salt, ingredients. Salt sodium nitrate 6.25%

Like what's already been said, there is some great info on this site I probably read a 100 posts from daveomak when I first started on here just to learn about curing and ofcourse a number of members are just fantastic. I may be a novice but I would at least let the sausage cure and allow the flavors to develop overnight at a minimum.
I think ur right, that's what I'll do

Did you use a prepackaged sausage seasoning mix? A lot of those premixes have cure accelerators added so the product could be stuffed and smoked all in the same day with no issue.
No its a youtube recipe, I bought wild game cure, salt plus sodium nitrite, 6.25%, think ill stuff and let cure overnight

New to forum. Trying a kielbasa recipe from youtube. They grind, add spice and cure, stuff, let dry in front of a fan for a couple hours, smoke until 150 degrees, put them in cold water, let bloom for 3 hours. My question is, I've read in some places that one must cure the sausage for 12 to 24 hous. These guys didn't. Does cooking destroy the nitrate. Confused
Sausage making (and meat curing, home canning, jerky making etc.) utilizes proven and/or approved techniques for food safety, combined with some personal touches. If you know solid technique you can make hundreds of kinds of sausage. If you know one recipe, you can make one kind of sausage. No disrespect to their online community, but some YouTube videos are more trustworthy than others.

I'm in the camp that grinds and mixes seasonings and cure one day, and stuffs the next day. I do put my cure into water for better distribution. My only logic is I like to let the seasonings blend, the curing agent go to work, and to allow the sausage to absorb the additional icy water I added when mixing. The next day I do fry a sample pattie for a taste test and adjust seasoning if needed. And I generally add more icy water and give another mix by hand before stuffing. I just want the best flavor and moistness I can get. I don't always smoke on the same day as stuffing, so my technique for a cured and smoked kielbasa might be spread over 3 days.

* I don't see anything wrong with grinding, mixing and stuffing the same day. But I would wait a day before smoking.

* Fan drying is fine

* 152° is the correct internal temp for sausage with the correct amount of Cure #1 added. I generally use 154° just for insurance.

* I use a ice bath or shower in cold water for smoked sausage, bologna, summer sausage etc.

I do much the same as thirdeye, only difference is I use STPP (sodium tri poly phosphate) and this dissolves much better in water 100*F or warmer. So I use 1/8 of the added water I need for the smoke sausage as warm water to dissolve the TSPP, then I add another 1/8 of the added water as ice and mix that into the TSPP solution to cool it down, then I add the cure #1 to dissolve in cold water before mixing into the coarse ground meat. I usually run that through the kidney plate for first grind to get 3/4" chunks. I mix salt, seasoning and the TSPP & cure#1 solution into the first grind, then chill overnight. The meat firms up from the salt and cure, making second grind easier.
one tip-keep the grinder throat wet....either with a spray bottle or just use two fingers to wet it. This will keep the meat from sticking and feeding the grinder will be a breeze. I think I use less than 1/2cup for a 60# batch keeping the grinder throat wet to grind the second grind.

I also use daveomak daveomak 's smoke schedule to pasteurize the links for 1.5 hours once the INT of the links reaches 138*F in the coldest part of the smoker. The temp usually rises to between 140-145*F after hour and a half...then I pull them and either shower or dunk in cold water to quench cooking and stop the links from drying out and getting wrinkled.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky