New Stuffer - (Your opinions Please)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hoity, I have a 7lb'er maid by the same company that makes that unit. Mine is a 7#er by weston, I hate to say my rear end ate a mud hole in me and at the time i puchased mine, they told me the 11 lb'er would be coming out by the 1st of the year, but I could not wait.  I PRAY FOR YOU THAT THAT UNIT WORKS BETTER THAN MINE. I worked my ass off last week stuffing 10lb of snack sticks, kept blowing out the rubber gasket. Make sure you add about 1 ounce of water more than what is called for or your gasket WILL NOT STAY ON. I called weston on monday last week and they are sending me out a new unit. I hope your 11lb'er works better. 

I have an 11lb stuffer made by weston, altho mine has orange painted base and frame, and was sold at cabelas for short period of time.

I have no issues with the gasket,  the push rod is steel and the pusher plate is also steel....I get very little blow by, maybe a quarter lb at most

JNO did you mix in all your ingredients and stuff right away or did you put the meat in the refigerator over night?

That is a nice-sized stuffer.

I've come to realize its best (& more efficient) to have one Bigger than you'll need than to have to be constantly doing multiple loads using a smaller stuffer.

That being said, I AM considering getting a 'smaller' (5-pounder) for the occasional small load I do.

My Kirby will do 10-12 pounds, but if I do a small batch (5lbs or less), I wind up using the stuffing attachment to my cabela grinder—which is 'okay' but not ideal...

—Kevin

Hoity Toit, I have the Weston 11lb stuffer from Cabelas….I have used mine many times and have had very little problems….. As far as blow by with the gasket, you will need to make sure that it is in correctly. Boykjo had to show me that I had been installing mine wrong and the proper way to install it. The grove goes down, to allow it to scrapes against the tank wall, form a good seal and prevent the meat from bypassing the gasket…. I think the problems that some experience is due to using meat that is too stiff (been sitting to long) or too thick (not enough water). It may or may not be the correct way of doing it, but I usually stuff as soon as I can after I mix the meat. Then I will allow it to rest in the refrigerator overnight to bloom…. Snack sticks are going to be more difficult just because they are smaller and will stuff faster. I usually use a little more water that recommended when stuffing snack sticks, it just seems to make it easier….. Hope this helps, Merry Christmas…….ShoneyBoy

Hoity Toit, I have the Weston 11lb stuffer from Cabelas….I have used mine many times and have had very little problems….. As far as blow by with the gasket, you will need to make sure that it is in correctly. Boykjo had to show me that I had been installing mine wrong and the proper way to install it. The grove goes down, to allow it to scrapes against the tank wall, form a good seal and prevent the meat from bypassing the gasket…. I think the problems that some experience is due to using meat that is too stiff (been sitting to long) or too thick (not enough water). It may or may not be the correct way of doing it, but I usually stuff as soon as I can after I mix the meat. Then I will allow it to rest in the refrigerator overnight to bloom…. Snack sticks are going to be more difficult just because they are smaller and will stuff faster. I usually use a little more water that recommended when stuffing snack sticks, it just seems to make it easier….. Hope this helps, Merry Christmas…….ShoneyBoy
LOL, if this is the case I have been using my seal upside down all along, but I was pretty sure that was the way it was on when I got mine, not that they wouldn't put it on wrong at the factory

I have also used a small amount of olive oil mixed into the meat to help it stuff into smaller casings, and it worked well.

Which ever way the seal goes, I haven't had any problems stuffing through the smallest tube which I think is a 10mm, but I have had trouble getting 22/24 size sheep casings over the tube, and sometimes it snags coming off, I keep a small syringe and a bowl of water handy and inject a small anount of water into the casing  and that helps

LOL, if this is the case I have been using my seal upside down all along, but I was pretty sure that was the way it was on when I got mine, not that they wouldn't put it on wrong at the factory

I have also used a small amount of olive oil mixed into the meat to help it stuff into smaller casings, and it worked well.

Which ever way the seal goes, I haven't had any problems stuffing through the smallest tube which I think is a 10mm, but I have had trouble getting 22/24 size sheep casings over the tube, and sometimes it snags coming off, I keep a small syringe and a bowl of water handy and inject a small anount of water into the casing  and that helps

Thanks ., I'll make note of what ya'll are saying concerning the gasket. I use a little extra water too but perhaps I should use a little more.. Doent hurt a thing. I almost always stuff right away while the meat is still "sticky". I refrigerate overnight before smoking., but not always,,,, depends on the quantity of sausage made and how much will fit in the smoker. I cold water bath the sausage when its up to temp.

great job you must have been a good liitle boy, make sure meat and stuffer are cold also this should help ( cold weather upa here now just leave stuffer outside overnight if you can) I know some that put parts of stuffer in freezer

great job you must have been a good liitle boy, make sure meat and stuffer are cold also this should help ( cold weather upa here now just leave stuffer outside overnight if you can) I know some that put parts of stuffer in freezer

What is the purpose of having the stuffer cold ?

well the colder you keep sausage meat the better the fat in it holds up, if it starts to get warm the fat I have seen it kind of build up in the stuffing horn  then come out and leave  fat smears in your casing, but it also takes away from the appearance and texture of your sausage if the fat breaks down, so always the colder your equipment the better

well the colder you keep sausage meat the better the fat in it holds up, if it starts to get warm the fat I have seen it kind of build up in the stuffing horn  then come out and leave  fat smears in your casing, but it also takes away from the appearance and texture of your sausage if the fat breaks down, so always the colder your equipment the better

OK, I have not had that issue before probably because I do small batches 10-15 lbs, and the meat has always been cold. My stuffing room has a window ac unit I turn all the way down cold on the night before if it looks like it will be warm the day I stuff. Thank you for the advice.!

Hoity,. I ran a little more water this time in my mix and had no problems. The last batch i ran, I mixed let it set over night then tried to stuff, no wanno! I ran about 28 lbs yesturday used about 1,1/2 ounces of water or what ever pr lb and it worked fine. After reading this i may be running the gasket upside down, not for sure on that but i will check next time i stuff. The company did send me out a new stuffer i got in today so we will double check and I will let you know. 

thumb1%20copy.gif

Great Score Hoity Toit!!

I got a 20# Cabelas Stuffer w/Motor in the bargain cave for a great price, but out of the box, it had issues.

I just could not get a good seal, and meat pushed past the plunger  I pulled the thing apart, and noticed the plunger would "Wobble" on the end of the shaft, and when the plunger hit the ground meat, it would not stay straight inside the can.  I found a bushing at the hardware store, and this took up the slop in the end of the shaft.  This eliminated most of the blow by.

Also, you have to add extra water to your ground meat, if your gonna make snack sticks.  After sitting overnight, the ground meat got stiff, so I added a few ounces of water to loosen it up.

Todd

Hoity,. I ran a little more water this time in my mix and had no problems. The last batch i ran, I mixed let it set over night then tried to stuff, no wanno! I ran about 28 lbs yesturday used about 1,1/2 ounces of water or what ever pr lb and it worked fine. After reading this i may be running the gasket upside down, not for sure on that but i will check next time i stuff. The company did send me out a new stuffer i got in today so we will double check and I will let you know. 
[h1] [/h1][h1]Mine is supposed to be here today too.[/h1]

very nice ! what size is your smallest stuffing horn?
4 Sizes of stuffing tubes: 10mm, 16mm, 22mm, 38mm

FEATURES:
- Stainless steel frame, tubes and cylinder
- Aluminum gear box with steel gears
- 2 Speed stuffing
- 4 Sizes of stuffing tubes: 10mm, 16mm, 22mm, 38mm
- Cylinder Diameter: 141mm
- Cylinder Length: 320mm
- Machine size: 65 x 34 x 30cm
- Gross Weight/Net Weight:13/12 kg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky