New Smokin It 3 on the way

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brnzbk

Original poster
Nov 10, 2014
Just ordered a new Smokin It 3, I am replacing a Traeger Lil Texan, too many controller issues.  Looking forward to new adventures and challenges of learning the ins and outs of a new smoker.

So if anyone has any beginner suggestions or advice all would be appreciated.

If you cannot get user advice here or from the SI forum section, head over to the SI site itself.

I have the smaller #1 version and love it. It's really simple to use (and clean). My only words of wisdom is to err on the side of less wood versus more. It really needs amazingly little to get a good smoke in my experience. I'm talking a 2" x 3" chunk.

Last edited:
Thanks, I found that out on my first smoke. I used 4 oz. for 1 slab of ribs and it was too  much smoke for my taste, next time I will try 2 oz..

I guess that is part of the fun, experimenting.

An inexpensive digital scale, like the OXO Good Grips makes weighing your wood easy and fast. That and a sharp hatchet. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky