New Pit Boss

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

weev

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 10, 2014
Edmore Michigan
Has anyone heard anything about these new smokers ??
20180117_154332.jpg

Not sure on the model but several members were displeased on the temps wide temp swings and several degrees off. As with any smoker get you a good thermometer. Do search on this site for the exact details but several members took them back good luck and report back on your experience if you decide to go that route

Hey crazzy thanks for the reply I know they have had issues with the other kinds of pit boss but I haven't seen this style before
I researched for over a hour today and only found one review on it

I wondered about that as I haven’t seen that model before if could return it in 30days or so if I was unhappy with it I would try it if not I would wait until more info is available just curious what’s the price?

The price was 399 which is cheaper than the grill style kind

This is a new model. Saw the prototype last spring at a trade show. I really like the design better - no reason for a smoker to look like a barrel.
On the one we saw, each level was big enough for a full rack of ribs, and you can slide the racks in (like a masterbuilt). We ate things prepared on it by the factory team and it was great!

I'm looking at the series 5 made for wally. I too only found the one review. Looking to get into pellet smoking and like the new design.

A friend of mine just bought one, I am waiting to see what he says with his, I am sure it will be a bit of a learning curve. As with all smokers, You need to figure out and learn its nuances. I have a couple pit boss's and I really enjoy them, It was not an overnight success, There was some trial and error as with all of ones I have used in the past. Good luck and let us know how they work out.

I bought one last week mine is the Series 3, mine is a little bit smaller than the other ones but I just want it for when I want to throw something small in. If im going to be doing a big cook I can use my big stick burner. So I got it put together and seasoned it up on Saturday morning.
I let it run for a few hours and it seemed to work real well the temp probe was a few degrees off from my thermo smoke probe but nothing to bad. One thing I did notice is that it is always cycling, but I believe that is normal. I have a pellet heater inside my house and it does the same thing it drops in some pellets they start to burn so the temp goes up then they burn down the temp goes down and then it drops more pellets in its a constant cycle.
It did average out to the temp that I had it set to and I thought that it did good. It does have a smoke setting that you do get a good amount of smoke from and on a normal temp you get a nice thin blue smoke.
So after it seasoned I figured why waste a hot smoker and I threw in a pizza stone and cooked a couple bbq pulled pork pizzas and they came out great.
On Sunday morning I fired it up at 730 went in to prep a pork butt to throw on drank a cup of coffee and it was heated up and ready to go by 800. So I threw it in at 250 degrees and it cooked all day, it took 12 hrs to hit 200 degrees where the bone fell out. The pork tasted really good but it did have a less noticeable bark then I get from my stick burner. But I was still happy with how it turned out. I will make some adjustments for the next time and we will see where it goes.

I have some pictures to add but I have to wait until I get home some dipstick forgot his phone sitting on the nightstand this morning

20180120_143225.jpg

Well I said I would add some pictures here are a few but I need to get better at remembering to take more But here is the pizza I made

Here I have a picture with my Smoke unit showing that the temps are about the same
20180121_124452.jpg

And here is the Cb or back bacon that I smoked
This was the first time I have attempted to make it I used pops brine and smoked with 100% hickory and it is the best I have ever had I will be making more of this very soon
20180204_212156.jpg

Any more updates from users? Wally has the 5 series for 396. Price is great but concerned because lack if reviews.

Sorry not much new to update from me hopefully next weekend I will be able to use it again

The 5 series floor unit feels and looks very sturdy. Wally offers 4 year warranties for 50 bucks which seems to be a smart move. I'm hoping to pick one up very soon.

Just picked up the 7 series. I have played with it a little but not enough to give a full review. Hoping to get some more experience with it this weekend! FYI picked it up for $549

Attachments

• IMG_4565.jpg
    IMG_4565.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_4572.jpg
    IMG_4572.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
Reactions: Rings Я Us
I really hope that thing turns out to work great.. You will have something that does everything , AND get the smoke ring.:D
If you have problems keeping the fire going at 150 , You can try a new brand of pellets or another type of wood. Keep it dry and--------------

Best of luck!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky