New pH Meter For Breads

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Didnt want to use my Apera that I used for sausage.
So I bought an after mkt, works like the Apera.

Has the same spear probe and came with an extra.
A pH of 5.1 to 5.4 is generally accepted as being conducive to the production of a desirable crumb in white bread. In sponge or liquid ferments, the final pH value should be between 4.5 and 5.1 to yield doughs with pH values between 5.0 and 5.2.

IMG_5481.JPG

So do I, soak mine in the cleaning solution for 6 hours to break down the fat residue on the tip.
is 6 hours the recommended time for a soak in the cleaning solution? For my Milwaukee, they recommend a 30 minute soak. This is to minimize the loss of ions in the tip, yet still clean it sufficiently.

Ah, didn't know they go bad. I clean mine every time I use it.

Yes, in the tip of the probe there is a gel solution filled with ions that comes into contact with whatever you are measuring the pH of. Over time, the tip will lose ions and this affects the readings. This is why you have to calibrate the unit so often.....so the unit is calibrated to the micro loss of ions in the tip. The storage solution has the ions, and through equilibrium, they will be replaced over time, but eventually the loss is enough that it will throw the readings out of the calibration range, thus the probe will need to be replaced. Normal use, every 2 years or so...high use daily in a commercial setting, every year they should be replaced.

Reactions: zwiller and 02ebz06
I read that somewhere on some blog, normally I save those pages so I can go back and read but more than likely 30 mins is good.

I have not yet done a side by side, going to wait until I have fridgefoot filled. Thats what I named my fridge...lol

Waiting on some long pepper to show up.

I have that same brand for our hydroponic setup. Mine measures PPM, TDS, & PH. Cost me $11.00. I compared the results to my Apera, & they are just about the same. I guess I could take it one step further & calibrate both of them & test again.
Al

I have that same brand for our hydroponic setup. Mine measures PPM, TDS, & PH. Cost me $11.00. I compared the results to my Apera, & they are just about the same. I guess I could take it one step further & calibrate both of them & test again.
Al
For what the Apera cost you can buy 4 of these.

Didnt want to use my Apera that I used for sausage.
So I bought an after mkt, works like the Apera.

Has the same spear probe and came with an extra.
A pH of 5.1 to 5.4 is generally accepted as being conducive to the production of a desirable crumb in white bread. In sponge or liquid ferments, the final pH value should be between 4.5 and 5.1 to yield doughs with pH values between 5.0 and 5.2.

View attachment 679533
Nice thx for sharing.

what is the difference between all the apera? I'm looking to get one for but there so many different variations? just the probe?

what is the difference between all the apera? I'm looking to get one for but there so many different variations? just the probe?

Both have the spear probe which is better for meats, cheese, breads. Both have just about same functions, this meter is like $140 less.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky