New MES 30 gen. 1 vent mod

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

renron

Original poster
Mar 17, 2017
Here is my Gen. 1 vent mod. I used a can of Blue Diamond Almonds and made a tube out of aluminum sheeting which I riveted together. It is 2" in diameter which is a little larger than the area of the vent holes. I took into account the fixed size of the vent and only measured the opening size. The vent tube can be moved in any direction and the vent can still be regulated like normal.

Let me know what you think. Glad to be a new member of this site.

Ron

Only with the original heat up / seasoning of the smoker. I put a 1/2 cup of wood chips into the loader and dumped them into the smoke tray. Only ash was left. It smoked pretty good but the vents were only 1/2 way open. Burning off the oils from the sheet metal really stunk up the place. I had to move it further away from the house.

I'm still working on my "mail box" mod, when that's completed I'll take some test temperature measurements. Right now the smoker is about 20* hotter than what it reads on the display with the vents 1/2 closed if that makes a difference? Shouldn't IMO.

Thank you for the complement.

Ron

On Sunday I had the family coming over for dinner, so I planned on doing a set or 2 of ribs with smoked baked beans.

I used (I think) BearCarver's recipe for the rib rub and overnight in the fridge.

The 2 large rack of ribs wouldn't fit in the MES 30 , but cut to 2/3 size fit with no problems. Ribs on 3 lower racks and beans which I doctored up on the top rack. 

I completed the mail box modification and used the 12" AMNST (tube) with both chips and "perfect mix" pellets. It smoked for exactly 2.5 hours and vented / flowed very well through the vent mod that I had already completed. Plenty of smoke flavor and wouldn't want any more. I cooked the ribs 2.5 / 2.5 / 1 @ 230*. Temperatures were monitored by my new ThermoPro  TP20. Two probes at different levels inside the smoker, temps were within 5-10* so I'm happy with that. One of the probes now reads 15 degrees hot, I called them and a new one is being sent free of charge. I get to keep the old one and I've now labeled it as 15* high. The TP20 shocked me at how far it could range. At LEAST 150 feet away, thru 6 walls , upstairs while watching a movie I could watch the temps fluctuate. Awesome unit.

I had zero problems with my mods (which worked very well) and the MES 30 vent opened up all the way was able to keep a steady heat cycle. It fluctuated maybe +/- 8* when it cycled on and off once it stabilized.

We all ate too much, and it was glorious! I've never had smoked baked beans before, but we sure will again. Wife unit said it was the best beans she's ever eaten. We're in our 60s so have eaten beans many many times previously.

Ribs were done to perfection and we all had plenty to eat. Great family meal, fed 5 adults <$35 with many leftovers.

Thanks to all who post, so us new guys can benefit from your expertise.

Ron

Great job!  It's awesome to see your mods working flawlessly.  Also I'm jealous your MES gets hotter than it is suppose to.  I have the opposite problem on my MES40 and can only get it up to 270F if lucky.  That problem will be solved in the near future
devil.gif

Keep smoking and keep posting!

When I "seasoned" my MES 30 I had the vents about 1/2 way closed, Temperature remote (not the MES temp probe) said it hit 325* at the high point when it was set at 275* .

as long as I don't trust the MES temp probe I'm fine! :)  I wonder if it was a combination of the bad probe and MES being out of spec.? I'll have to check again next time I pre heat the smoker. So far so good. Happy , happy , happy.

Ron

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky