New in Los Angeles

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bsteele

Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Los Angeles
Hello:

I've been reading the forum for a while, so I thought I'd join.

I have a traditional propane grill that I've tried some smoking, but it just doesn't work. With that little box of chips, I was able to get a little smoky flavor to my cooking, but nothing like the real thing.

I'm looking at the Brinkmann charcoal split door ($60) or solid door ($90) for my first official smoker. Any thoughts? I figure a quick modifcation to the pan then seal up the doors a little better and I can start to experiment.

My problem is living in Los Angeles, space is limited to my apartment patio. Probably will only smoke pulled pork and brisket.

Hello LA, thanks for joining us the SMF. I know you're pain about space, I was in the same situation once before. Stay friendly with the folks next door, it helps.

The trick with neighbors is to include them. Offer them some of the results and not only will they not mind you making a little smoke while you cook, but they will also start asking when you are going to cook some more and may eventually provide meat for you to cook for them that they will share with you. Just never tell them how much fun it is or how easy it is.

First off welcome to SMF. you'll like it here all the guys and girls love to share expeinces and recipes so sit back read away. you might want to try the 5 day corse jeff offers.

I'm on day 2 of the 5-day course.

Are the Brinkmann charcoals good starter smokers? I see a lot of people use propane also?

I've been looking on the forum for some a post on "seasoning" the new grill. Any suggestions?

Is there a cheat sheet for keywords/abbreviations? I saw a post that said "tbs" and I'm still trying to figure that one out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky