New guy with a few questions....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CSimm

Original poster
Apr 14, 2018
Leighton, Alabama
Hello everyone, north Alabama checking in here with a few questions. I’ve been smoking ribs, bologna, chicken, and a couple other things for a while on a homemade smoker with reverse flow. I purchased a 30” electric smoker this week and I have three Boston butts I’m going to cook that are 8-10 pounds each. I rinsed them last night and patted them dry, rubbed them with mustard and put a liberal coat of my dry rub I mix up and sat them in the refrigerator. I need them to be done around 3pm on Sunday. My game plan is to put them on the smoker tonight and keep the smoke rolling at 200 degrees for about 3 hours and then reload the chips and call it a night and bump the temp down to 180 and when I get up in the morning around 6 bump it up to around 240-250 and wrap them in foil until temp reaches 200 this way I know they don’t get done entirely to early. Question is can I lower the temp and get some sleep and then raise it back up in the morning?

I’d set your electric at 225 to be safe. If they get done early then wrap them and place those butts in a cooler. I do not think a 180 smoker temp for an extended time is safe.
Just my 2 cents. B

I’d set your electric at 225 to be safe. If they get done early then wrap them and place those butts in a cooler. I do not think a 180 smoker temp for an extended time is safe.
Just my 2 cents. B
I found this forum and just joined but would totally agree with the previous post. Setting your smoker at 180 degrees is not safe, especially with pork. You don't state the brand of smoker other than 30" electric but I would venture to say if you put (3) Boston Butts in it and expect your meats to be done by lunchtime tomorrow that goal might be a little over zealous. That's approximately 24-30 lbs. of meat to smoke on a new smoker that you aren't familiar with. Suggestion - back down your goal of smokin 3 and set your sights on 1-2 if possible.

Good luck with the smoking brother!

I would just put them on right before bed and keep the temp at 225 the entire time. I usually throw one on before bed and set my smoker to 240, but that is when I am shooting for lunch.

I just put them in at 225 going to let her roll. Two of them were touching a little I hope they will shrink some as they cook.

Just keep temp at 225. They will take longer than you think and be ready just in time. If they are done early, just wrap and put in your oven at 170. They will keep for a long time! Good luck

You won't get any bark where the two butts are touching and I don't think you'll get much smoke flavor w/o am amazn tray. The chips will burn out with in an hour.

Chris

Stayed up until midnight reloading the chips and with the last reload got about 3- 3-1/2 hours of solid smoke. The temps are at 156,157, and 158 this morning. I appreciate y’all a help

Reactions: bdskelly
This is while I was injecting this morning.

Attachments

• 6A340392-B045-48BA-A9B1-E82792B01472.jpeg
    6A340392-B045-48BA-A9B1-E82792B01472.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: bdskelly
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky