New From London Ontario

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

two much smoke

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Hi everyone signed up awhile ago but I am just starting to get my feet wet here on the board.

I have an electric smoker and it is great except that I cannot do any winter smoking.

Has anyone overcome this problem without buying a new smoker?

Welcome to the forum. There will be someone along shortly to help solve your problem with winter smoking.

I use a small electric in the winter inside the garage or pole barn. It is a 1 inch thick insulated wall and it does a good job at 15 degrees external. Never tried it any lower yet, but there is always this year.

Welcome to smf! I dont know how big of a smoker you have, but you could put an electric hot plate inside of it to help with the temps in the winter. I saw a decent single burner one for about $20.00 USD at walmart the other day. i dont know if you have a wally world in London, but that would be a good place to start looking, or a yardsale. London isnt that terribly far north, so, aside from a few really cold snaps, that should be able to contend with the cold if your smoker isnt huge
cool.gif

Two Much Smoke -- I think I am in a similar climate as you (Dee-troit) and I bought a cheap welding blanket for my ECB electric last winter that helped it run fine. I have a drum now that I will use inside a small shed (like a windbreak) as the temps drop this winter. You can always build a cheap windbreak.

Winter is too long up here without Que.
biggrin.gif

PS - Welcome to the SMF

Almost neighbours thanks but what is a welding blanket and where can I get one also do you know the approx. cost of one?

Welcome to the SMF family. I am in Windsor Ont. You could also try to make a wrap from duct insulation (foiled on both sides with bubble wrap in the middle) I do not know how well this will work but I will be making one for my gosm in the fall. You can buy this stuff at Home Depot or just about any hardware store.
Just a thought.

Welxcome to the SMF. Sounds like you can use some insulation, or a shed of sorts.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky