Need Tips/Help! Pulled Pork on Pit Barrel Cooker.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sweetdaddy

Original poster
Nov 10, 2020
This will be my 1st time but will use the Pit Barrel Cooker for pulled pork. My plan is to use Kingsford Apple wood charcoal, with wood chunks. Below are my plans but since it's the 1st time, please help/correct me.
1. What is the best wood? Plan is peach or apple wood chunks, with kingsford apple and a little hickory mixed in.
2. The Pit barrel cooks quick imo so was gonna pull at 160, then wrap and finish inside in the oven until 203 then removed. -I need help here.

My questions:
1. Should I inject/marinate? My plan was to marinate in apple/pineapple juice for 2 days, then inject with a pork solution i found.
2. Is my mixture of charcoal and wood good? I read apple is best for pork but have used cherry wood and found this to be good.
3. I want tender meat with a smokey taste. Should I put pulled meat back on smoker to get the smoky taste without drying it out?
4. Should I wrap in foil or a pan with foil covered tight so the meat is tender?

Will do it May 1st and really excited but nervous. I have an awesome butcher (German Master Butcher) whose meat is always superb but I'm confused on bark, tenderness, injection, etc. Appreciate any tips!

Reactions: JLeonard
Wood sounds good. Injection is up to you. Probably won't see a big difference with it. Butts have lots of fat it's not gonna dry out. You can either let it ride uncovered the whole cook or pan/cover when it hits the stall. No wrap will take longer. Both will provide great results. No need to put pulled pork back on smoker. With either method you choose you will have good smoke flavor. The butts done when a probe slides in like warm butter. Usually around 203 for me but that's subject to change

Looks like TNJAKE hit all the highlights!
I like to cook it in a pan or have one under it to catch the juices to be mixed back in while pulling....

Reactions: SKade
Just about everything to say has been said. The only thing I would add is temperature management. To break down the collagen you really want to go low and slow. When you say it cooks fast how fast do you mean?

Welcome to SMF, search is your best buddy!

I just bought a PBC Jr, have cooked on it 3 times, getting better each time. Go grab a whole chicken or chicken parts to cook right now and gain some experience on your PBC. The PBC cooks at a high temp (275-300F) I would skip the injection pork butt is very moist. Pineapple juice tends to break down meat due to some enzyme. Watch how you build your fire. I put charcoal briquettes in the basket and use a 3" tube as a place holder for my lighted coals. You may want to use a 4"/5" coffee can. I did find that doing this limited the amount of coals getting lighted. I only use 6-7 coals now. I mix in some wood chunks. 6-8 before lighting. My biggest challenge now is only lighting 6-7 coals in my big chimney. Planning on making one when I find a suitable can.

Let it go until about 165-170 internal temp. Pull it off, double foil wrap, and put in 275F oven until its done at 195-200F IT. I will probe it for doneness. Out of the oven and rest it in a cooler for at least an hour. I use an old beach towel. This rest period is important for moist product. Pull it and plate it. I use a finishing sauce most of the time. Give JJ's sauce a try. I just dress it with a little sauce, about a tablespoon per pound.

Enjoy,
RG

JJs Finishing Sauce

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky