need some help on attempting a goose and squirrel

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rcfd607

Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Reed City Michigan
was wondering what is a good smoke for both the squirrel and goose because they will be smoking at the same time and cook temps and times for smoking if u could give me some pointers I would greatly appreciate it I have a bardley digital smoker and just starting to get into using it thanks

Brine the squirrel, and slice the goose into jerky. My non-hunting co-workers loved the smoked goose jerky that I made last season. I don't have a written down recipe but typical beef jerky recipes will work fine. Cook the squirrel alongside the goose jerky and take it off after an hour or 2 but my personal preference with squirrel is shake and bake.

I season inside and out with salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder.  Slice apples and onions, then stuff  the cavity with them.  Wrap outside in bacon, cover with a cheese cloth and than smoke.  Also, the goose was skinned. 

This is one for duck that one of these days I'm going to do, been saying that for a couple of years.  Really sounds good to me, just have never gotten to it.

·   SMOKED DUCK WITH CHINESE FLAVORINGS

Source: How to Grill, pg. 270                        Steven Raichlen
http://primalgrill.org/season2/Recipes/211_recipes.html#anchor2Method: Rotisserie/Spit-Roasting

Serves: 2 to 4

Advance Preparation: 6 to 24 hours for marinating the duck

1 duck (5 to 6 pounds)
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon Asian (dark) sesame oil, plus 1 to 2 tablespoons
for basting
1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder (See NOTE)
1 clove garlic, minced, plus 1 clove garlic, crushed
1 slice fresh ginger (1/4 inch), lightly crushed
1 scallion, trimmed and lightly crushed
Tea-Smoking Mixture for Duck (optional; recipe follows)

You’ll also need:

1 cup wood chips, soaked for 1 hour in cold water to cover, then drained; rotisserie; butcher’s string

No rotisserie.   Indirect grill.

Remove the packet of giblets from the duck’s cavity and set aside for another use.  Remove and discard the fat just inside the neck and body cavities.  Rinse the duck, inside and out, under cold running water and then drain and blot dry, inside and out, with paper towels.  Remove the wishbone.

Make the marinade: Combine the soy sauce, honey, 1 tablespoon oil, five-spice powder, and minced garlic in a bowl and stir.

Place the ginger, scallion, crushed garlic, and 1 tablespoon marinade in the body cavity of the duck and another tablespoon in the smaller neck cavity.  Truss the duck.  Place in a baking dish and pour the remaining marinade over it.  Gently prick the skin all over and let the duck marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours, preferably 24, turning it several times.

Set up the grill for rotisserie grilling and preheat to high.  If using a charcoal grill, place a large drip pan in the center.  If using a gas grill with a smoker box, add all the wood chips and the Tea-Smoking Mixture, if desired (for the smoking mixture, line the smoker box with aluminum foil first), and preheat until you see smoke.  If using a regular gas grill, place the wood chips and smoking mixture (again, if desired) in a smoker pouch and preheat until you see smoke.

***Indirect grill.   

Skewer the duck on the spit.  When ready to cook, if using a charcoal grill, place all the wood chips and the Tea-Smoking Mixture, if desired, on the coals.  Attach the spit to the rotisserie mechanism and turn on the motor.  Grill until the skin is dark golden brown and the meat is tender, 1-1/2 to 2 hours.  Baste with oil after 1 hour and every 15 minutes thereafter.  If using a charcoal grill, you’ll need to add 18 fresh coals after 1 hour.  To test for doneness, insert an instant-read meat thermometer into the thickest part of a thigh, but not touching the bone.  The internal temperature should be about 165 to 170 degrees F.  Carefully remove the duck from the spit.  Let rest 5 minutes before carving or serving.

NOTE: Chinese five-spice powder is available commercially at most supermarkets.  If you cannot find it, blend your own using the following recipe:

Sub-Recipe 1:
Chinese Five-Spice Powder

Makes 1/3 cup

3 whole star anise
2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches each)
3 tablespoons Sichuan peppercorns
2 tablespoons fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon whole cloves

Heat a dry skillet over medium-low heat.  Add the spices and toast until fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes.  Transfer the spices to a bowl and let cool completely.

Break the star anise and cinnamon sticks into pieces.  Grind the spices to a fine powder in a spice mill.  Transfer to a jar, cover, and store away from heat and light.  The powder will keep for several months.

Sub-Recipe 2:
Tea-Smoking Mixture for Duck

Makes enough to smoke 1 or 2 ducks

1/3 cup white rice
1/3 cup black tea
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 cinnamon sticks (each 3 inches long)
3 whole star anise
3 strips tangerine zest (each 1/2 by 2 inches)

Place all the ingredients in a small bowl and stir to mix.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky