need some advice here

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

redtab78

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
So I decided to do some Spare ribs today, got them yesterday for around $9 or so, and its enough to feed my family, and I decided to try a new recipie...I used honey dijon mustard and coated them nicely, and sprinkled a combo or paprika, orange zest, brown sugar, and garlic powder yesterday to let them permeate a little (sorry no q-view on this one)

and today as I'm out there starting up my little char-broil american delux smoker, I have realized that that thing just aint cutting it anymore...

SO

I have decided to start shopping around to find a bigger better smoker to do my cooking on for now on, and would like some feed back on a good, better, best for a new smoker, here are my requirements:

a minimum of 600sq in cooking surface
can use logs OR charcoal (I want to start using logs more though)
at or under $750
keeps smoke in the chamber better (i.e. not leaking smoke like mine does)
keeps even temp accross the cooking surface

Got the bar - b - chef here. under $ 200. so far only mods needed was raising the firebox grate to prevent ash choke - out and I just put a dumbbell ( not me, the wieght kind ! ) on the handle for the smoke chamber to keep leakage down

Mods? Looks like the Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn Smoker has everything you would ever want. Of couse you will have to bring the beer.

geob

mods.........as in putting in a baffle..............tuning plates.......maybe some fireplace gasket to seal off places..........putting in decent "TRUE" reading thermos......at least two of em.........at grate level..........charcol basket.........extending the smoke stack down to grate level..........trust me.......lots of mods, once you get a new sfb horz. smoker..........

Hey Red,
Looks to me like you are close to a decision. And if I'm catching your drift, I think you are onto a great smoker. I don't have first hand knowledge but from what I have heard, that's a fine smoker and will give you years of service. Good luck with your search.

can you shoot me a few pics on here of your longhorn smoker, and a list of mods you had to do for it to be perfect?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky