Need Some Advice and Help (Prepping for Thanksgiving)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Thank you SR! I appreciate you providing feedback and letting me know I'm on the right track. I apologize to you and everyone else on here for so many questions and problems. Getting into smoking is a scientific process! I love to cook and its typically not this difficult!

I'll take your suggestion. I may do just half again because I felt like it wasn't really enough smoke but my wife thought it may have been too much. So I'll try half again.

I need to purchase a better meat thermometer for sure. I'm looking into the one that was posted above by DS2003 (https://www.amazon.com/Lavatools-PT12-Javelin-Thermometer-Chipotle/dp/B00GRFHXVQ).

Are there better ones though? Like the wireless one that I posted? Or is the Javelin more reliable. (https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-Wireless-Digital-Kitchen-Thermometer/dp/B014DAVCP4/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1478103373&sr=1-2&keywords=ThermoPro+TP07)
You are asking about 2 different thermo types that each serve a slightly different purpose.  The Lava Tools therm that Case recommended is an instant read thermometer.  It's not designed to provide constant monitoring of meat IT.  But for it's function, I hear great reviews.  It's a very affordable alternative to the much more expensive Thermoworks instant read thermometers (Thermopen).

The second type of therm you asked about is the wireless remote probe thermometer.  These are designed to place a probe in the meat and gives constant monitoring of the meats internal temp.  I don't know anything at all about the Thermo Pro remote wireless your linked above.  It may be a fine product, I just don't have any experience or knowledge about that particular unit.  I use a Maverick ET-732 dual probe wireless.  With the 2 probes, you can monitor both the meat temp as well as the temp of the cooking chamber.  I can say that, in my experience it is reliable and accurate.

Does that help?

And just as a P.S.  No need to apologize for asking questions...we're all happy to help, and that's the only way to learn!  
icon14.gif

Red

Last edited:
OH! I didn't even know that haha... I thought they were both used to just check the temp of the meats, like I've mentioned; newbie here!

Thank you for clearing that up and giving me the information. I guess I'll have to figure out what I really want. I think if I get a wireless thermometer, I'll be able to monitor meat temp and (if dual probe) I can monitor the internal temperature of the chamber. With the thermometer that Case recommended, it'll be more of an accurate instant read of checking on a meat. I'm going to look up your thermometer as well and see which one I should get.

I appreciate all your help and insight! Thanks again Red.

OH! I didn't even know that haha... I thought they were both used to just check the temp of the meats, like I've mentioned; newbie here!

Thank you for clearing that up and giving me the information. I guess I'll have to figure out what I really want. I think if I get a wireless thermometer, I'll be able to monitor meat temp and (if dual probe) I can monitor the internal temperature of the chamber. With the thermometer that Case recommended, it'll be more of an accurate instant read of checking on a meat. I'm going to look up your thermometer as well and see which one I should get.

I appreciate all your help and insight! Thanks again Red.
I also should have said that you may eventually want both an instant read and a remote probe thermo.  I have both and they each come in handy for different uses.  Just MHO, but I'd probably do the wireless probe therm first.  Probably a more practical first purchase for monitoring temps.  Don't get me wrong...those instant read therms are great!  I love my Thermopen instant read, and use it all the time...it's just a bit more of a luxury than a necessity IMHO.

Red

Last edited:
Thank you for your input Red. I will definitely get both if I end up eventually sticking to smoking (which I hope I will). I have in the back of my mind right now (I've been given advice from experts, its gonna come out great!). lol...

I know once I have the capability and opportunity, I may buy a way better smoker. Meaning, invest in a good $300-$500 smoker.

I'll definitely look into getting both but I may just get the wireless for now. This way, I know what my internal temperature is as well as checking the meat temperature constantly.

Is it possible to buy these beautiful units locally? Or is it only available on Amazon?

Is it possible to buy these beautiful units locally? Or is it only available on Amazon?
I'm not real sure about Maverick (I ordered mine online) or that Thermo Pro you mentioned...but I have no doubt you could find a wireless BBQ thermometer of some kind at a local retailer.  I recall seeing one in my local Academy Sports and Outdoors store, but I don't remember what the brand name was.

Red

Thanks for the info Red. I searched around at the local Target, Walmart, Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, Bed Bath and Beyond; none of these stores carry any good meat thermometers. So... I'll try searching some more but it doesn't look good. I may have to just cook blindly tonight like I did yesterday. Then, do my research and buy one online.

Well here it is guys. No water. 275F. Vent opened all the way. Smoked with Apple and Hickory. 1 and a half hour. 325F for 30 minutes. It smells amazing. I didn't try it yet cause I'm still eating the ribs from Monday lol. I will get my wife to try it. I want to thank you guys so very much! The finished product looks amazing. Just gotta try it. I'll post back once it's tasted. I want to try a turkey next... Not 20 lbs but maybe a small bird. Do I need water for the turkey?

Well here it is guys. No water. 275F. Vent opened all the way. Smoked with Apple and Hickory. 1 and a half hour. 325F for 30 minutes. It smells amazing. I didn't try it yet cause I'm still eating the ribs from Monday lol. I will get my wife to try it. I want to thank you guys so very much! The finished product looks amazing. Just gotta try it. I'll post back once it's tasted. I want to try a turkey next... Not 20 lbs but maybe a small bird. Do I need water for the turkey?

That looks terrific from here GK! I'd say you're definitely making progress! Thumbs Up

If you are happy with the results you got on this chicken, I'd say go with a dry cooker for the turkey too.

Red

Reactions: genghiskong
Thank you Red! Taste TBD, wife just got home so she needs to shower first. I'll let you guys know in maybe an hour or so how the taste, texture, and flavor is. You're awesome Red, thnks again for all your help! If everything comes out fine on these, I'm definitely gonna go with the dry cooker like you recommended.

So taste, texture, and flavor is here guys. Wife's verdict. Chicken was under seasoned which is obviously my fault. No time to marinate so I put the rub on and cooked it. Skin is rubbery (edible) but not crispy. Meat was overdone. Smoke flavor, definitely there this time. I think I need a good meat thermometer. I checked the chicken at an hour and 30 minutes but my thermometer wasn't accurate. So if I knew, I could've cooked it for an hour only and crisped the skin for 30 minutes which would've been an hour and 30 as opposed to 2 full hours including the crisp. I have a couple thermometers in my Amazon cart right now but don't know who one to buy...

So I ended up buying this one: Maverick Et-732 Remote Bbq Smoker Thermometer
I'm gonna take a break from smoking till the weekend. I'm getting the thermometer by Friday. Is there anything you guys have to say about that specific thermometer. It seems like people are saying the probes keep dying.

That ET-732 is the remote therm I use, and I've never had a single problem with mine. I've heard the same thing about the probes, but I've never had to replace one, and I've been using 2 different Maverick thermometers for over 7 years. I suppose you can always have bad luck and get a lemon with any product, but I highly recommend the Maverick.

Red

That ET-732 is the remote therm I use, and I've never had a single problem with mine. I've heard the same thing about the probes, but I've never had to replace one, and I've been using 2 different Maverick thermometers for over 7 years. I suppose you can always have bad luck and get a lemon with any product, but I highly recommend the Maverick.

Red

Thanks for your input red. I'll be getting it Friday. I'm a newbie for that too... Do you have any pointers for that as well? Is it hard to set up? What are the basics to getting it working. Do you put one probe just dangling in the smoker and one in the meat? For the one in the meat, how deep do you probe it?

Thanks for your input red. I'll be getting it Friday. I'm a newbie for that too... Do you have any pointers for that as well? Is it hard to set up? What are the basics to getting it working. Do you put one probe just dangling in the smoker and one in the meat? For the one in the meat, how deep do you probe it?
Pretty straightforward...if I remember correctly it'll come with an instruction manual that's pretty easy to follow.  The ET-732 is programmable, so you'll be able to set it so that an alarm will go off when your meat reaches your desired internal temp.  And also, you can program it so that an alarm will go off if your cooker temp gets outside whatever temperature range you set.  The instruction manual will cover how to do all that.  Here's one good tip:  To make sure it is reading accurately, test both probes in boiling water...this is a reliable and easy way to calibrate the thermometer and know that you can trust it's accuracy.  Depending on your elevation, both probes should read at or near 212*F in boiling water.  The sensors are in the very tip of the probes, so that'll be the only part you'll need to submerge to test it.  It will come with a little spring loaded clip that allows you to attach the smoker probe directly to the grate...this puts that probe right at food level.  Depth of the meat probe kinda depends on what your cooking, but I generally try to get the tip of the probe in the center of the largest mass, but away from any bones and/or connective tissue that can cause a false temp reading.

I've always had real good luck with my maverick products...in my experience they are solid and reliable thermometers.  I hope that will be your experience too!

Red

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed information above Red. I'll be receiving it tomorrow and I'm planning on picking up ribs again from Sam's Club. I'm gonna use the thermometer to its full potential and check the calibration on it with boiling water as you suggested. I'm also planning on buying the ThermoWorks ThermoPop soon. On their site it's only $25 and supposedly it works amazing.

Thank you for the detailed information above Red. I'll be receiving it tomorrow and I'm planning on picking up ribs again from Sam's Club. I'm gonna use the thermometer to its full potential and check the calibration on it with boiling water as you suggested. I'm also planning on buying the ThermoWorks ThermoPop soon. On their site it's only $25 and supposedly it works amazing.

Yeah you'll like that Thermopop. It's Thermoworks' best value in an instant read therm.

Red

Perfect! Yeah I did a lot of research to find the best thermometer. I'm gonna try out the Maverick for now and see how it works and make sure if works. I don't want to be like the others that didn't get the great product that you have. Meaning, the ones that have failed probes haha. If everything checks out, I'll be getting that ThermoPop later on. If the Maverick doesn't work for me, I may just get the ThermoPop

Hey Red and guys, so I tried the Maverick. I liked it but I felt like it wasn't fully practical for the use in my current smoker. I ended up buying a ThermoWorks ThermoPop. Do you guys recommend a probe instant read thermometer or do you recommend a leave in wireless. I'm currently looking into the ThermoWorks Smoke. Oh by the way, I made brisket.

Last edited:
I use a leave in for butts and briskets, and turkeys.  I use an instant read for chicken, tenderloins, and roasts.  They are both essential for cooking.  Monitoring the smoker temp with an accurate thermometer at grate level is also essential.  

Mike

I use a leave in for butts and briskets, and turkeys.  I use an instant read for chicken, tenderloins, and roasts.  They are both essential for cooking.  Monitoring the smoker temp with an accurate thermometer at grate level is also essential.  

Mike
yeahthat.gif

This is just what I do too.  GK, with your little roaster/smoker, it might not be practical to use a probe to monitor cooking temps.  And I'm not sure if that Thermoworks Smoke unit will do anything that the Maverick won't do, so not sure that's a purchase that will help you...unless you were just unhappy with the performance of the Maverick.

BTW, that brisket looked great!  I hope it tasted as good as it looks.  
icon14.gif

Red

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky