need helpful hints SM gas smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

octshake

Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
florida
If any one has helpful ideas on smoking hog in this smoker it would be appreciated. We have 2 hams, 2 ribs, 2 shoulders and backstrap. Approx times and temps would be great. TYVM.

We chatted about this last night when I lost power..was hoping Glued had ya straight. Hams will take the longest. Possibly 15 hours. What I'd do:

get hams in now, get maybe 4 to 5 hours smoke on them, then off to the oven to bake for slicing. Take them to 170-180 measured deep in the meat. Glaze or do whatever, they are not cured, so they are not really hams..will taste like smoked roast pork

When hams are off, in with the shoulders after giving them a mustard then spice based rub. They may take 8 or so hours, sincethey probably weigh no more than 6 lbs right? Smoker temp at 250 ish. After a couple hours, in go the ribs after rubbing, and the loins. Wrap the loins in bacon after applying a rub. you have small ribs, no doubt..follow the 2-2-1 method...those are times, look up the 3-2-1 method, and modify accordingly.

Please understand that this is a monumental undertaking, and altho many here could pull it off... we are not there and cannot impart all the tips and knowledge we have to help you, and really don't even know the precise cuts and sizes...so what we can tell you is limited.

Kind of fustrating, I know, but planning is paramount in a cook this size...

I encouraged octshake to to pursue more information today, Due to the fact That the "whole hog" post Led everyone to believe it was still intact.
I also encourage to provide more information about the situation.
Things such as;
  • *Things already learned*
  • What the cuts were
  • The deadline
  • The current devised plan
So others would have suggestions to offer some help especially GOSM owners.

I also figure it would be platform to ask questions during the whole smoking process.

Maybe I should have gave a min. words stipulation like essay's we had in school
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

I was expecting a paragraph or 2 instead of a sentence.

"Saying I'm smoking a hog is there any suggestions" isn't much info.
I could suggest and suggest and have a book written.

There is numorous threads on each cuts of meat. Being there is only about 25hrs till serve time, Whew! lots of work!

The more info given, the more info will be received.

Not knowing any thing about the hams, can't help you there. But I've done a couple picnic's, and rib's in my GOSM. The shoulders I belive is the same as a picnic. At 225-250 degree's the picnic's should take about 10-12 hours @9-11lbs. I kept the temp. at 225 most of the time. Not knowing what kind of ribs Baby backs or spares, As Rich stated 2-2-1 for b.b. or 3-2-1 for spares always work for me. Sorry thats all I can help you with. I know I'm just repeating what the others have already told you, but the more people who tell you some thing maybe that would ease your mind a little. Good luck.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky