My Rig [Char-Griller Smoking Pro]

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

joneser

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Elkhart, Indiana
Just got this smoker about a month ago, I have a whole 2 smokes out of it.
After finding these forums and all the helpful tips on modifications, I made a few and wanted to post some pix.
This is a Char-Griller Smoker with the Side Fire Box.
I plan on smoking a couple fatties, some salmon on cedar planks and a small butt this coming Sunday. We'll see how these mods have made a change in my temps.

This first pic shows the dual thermometers I installed at grate level. I'm keeping the stock thermometer there for this burn to see how off it was.

This pic shows the heavy aluminum baffle I installed to help divert the heat toward the middle of the grilling surface.

This pic shows the grating that I installed in the firebox. This should keep the coals from being choked out by the ashes on a long smoke and improve airflow. Doing this also enables me to dump the ashes if it's needed. This is only temporary. I need to fabricate a basket for the next burn.

I have a few other things I want to do to help keep the heat regulated, but for now I want to see the effect of these changes.

Very Nice!it appears that you are a quick study and have done your homework!Good Job!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Glad to see that you've been doing some worthy reading on mods, great job my friend.

looks good..others will say if I am wrong, but I beleive your baffle needs some holes in it.and in the fire box you will find a charcoal basket to be the best help. and will also help with the ash problem.

Thanks for the compliment. The baffle worked out quite nicely. I was able to slide it a little to tune the temps.
The grate didn't hold up too well, it was pretty thin material... it was really only temporary. I'll be buying or fabricating a basket for the next burn.... I also added the flex pipe to my exhaust. That seemed to keep the temps in check.
~Joneser

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky