My pork butt.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ChuckEWil

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 30, 2017
Indiana
F8F72E1A-7EDA-434C-982F-836533C11745.jpeg

Reactions: ab canuck
Tasted great. Left em plain and let them dress em up. I may increase the sugar on the rub.

From my novice understanding the more sugar in the rub the sweeter the bark and better bark. I am not sure it’s true but for me it is an experiment. My recipe for these pork butts was:
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup salt
1/4 cup paprika
1/8 cup garlic powder
1/8 cup onion powder
1/8 cup ground red pepper
2 Tablespoon of Ground rosemary
1 tablespoon of cumin

Hey Chuck, thanks for your answer. Personally, I've found that more brown sugar in the rub, when applied at the beginning of the smoke, creates a slightly thicker bark, but not necessarily a sweeter one, due to the way brown sugar burns in the long heat on an unwrapped butt. Definitely test it though. Always fun to experiment.

Try adding a "little" brown sugar at the end of a smoke to the pulled meat for a sweeter result. When I'm going to be serving pulled pork at a gathering where kids are eating, I always take "Sugar in the Raw" to sprinkle on the kid's sandwiches. They love it!

Reactions: ab canuck
That is an interesting thought. I think that’s what illl try to add some sweet to it. I’m aiming for a sweet then heat with a sauce.

Looks great.... and I like the idea of
Try adding a "little" brown sugar at the end of a smoke to the pulled meat for a sweeter result. When I'm going to be serving pulled pork at a gathering where kids are eating, I always take "Sugar in the Raw" to sprinkle on the kid's sandwiches. They love it!
I am going to try that for sure. Points to both of you guys....

Reactions: ChuckEWil
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky