My First Time Smoking Ever with Q-view

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by spence, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Well, i picked up the smoker friday night and seasoned it saturday. Never used a smoker before. Did alot of research on this forum for the past month. Alot of good info here.

I decided to do a beer can chicken. Picked up a 7lb. Took a few chugs of beer and shoved it in the bird. Got the smoker up to just a hair under 300 degrees and kept it there the whole time. I used a mix of apple and hickory chunks. Put the digital probe in it about an hour into the smoke. Took it up to 175 internal just to be sure. Whole smoke took 3 hours fifteen minutes. Also threw some beans on for about a half hour at the end.

Had some family over and they loved it. Turned out great i think. Was really juicy. The skin had an awesome smoke flavor to it. I sprayed it every hour with a lemon herb mix. I just unwrapped the bird and threw it in the smoker, no injections or marinating before hand.

I think the smoke was pretty good, a light bluish. Was pretty heavy and white for the first half hour then got nice and thin for the rest of the smoke. I think i am addicted. Already planning what to do next weekend lol.

And for the pics:

2. chisoxjim

chisoxjim Master of the Pit OTBS Member

thats how it starts, [​IMG]

typically I am counting down the days until the ads come out on wednesday to tell me what meat is on sale, then the rest of the weeks is spent deciding what I am going to do.

chicken looks really good btw. [​IMG]

3. Great looking bird [​IMG]

4. bman62526

bman62526 Smoking Fanatic

Sweet! That sure as heck looks better than MY first smoke [​IMG]

Good job on that chicken.

5. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Great job on your chicken! Love the color. [​IMG]

6. cman95

cman95 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Good looking yardbird ya got there! Where did you get that smoker?

7. scpatterson

scpatterson Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Hes hooked...I could tell he was excited (As he should be, thats one hellofa good lookin chikin) as I was reading his post, Looks to be a great first smoke......Where did you get the cooker??? I have never seen one like that

8. I got the smoker at Gander Mountain.

They had 'em on sale for $129. It's the propane version. Worked really well at keeping the temp constant. I monitored it closely for the first half hour messing with the fire and venting until it stabilized. Then i didn't touch the fire or venting for the rest of the cook and it stayed right at 300 the whole time.

9. raceyb

raceyb Smoking Fanatic

The coloring on that chicken is FANTASTIC... [​IMG]

Next try a rub inside and out to enhance flavor or brining the chicken. I have had some great results with brining poultry.

10. ronp

ronp Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Very nice first smoke, you are hooked![​IMG]

11. got14u

got14u Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

great first smoke !

12. reichl

reichl Meat Mopper

That looks great. 100% better than my first smoke!

13. the dude abides

the dude abides Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Congrats on your first and a successful first run at that.

[​IMG]for sure