My first smoke, the Boston Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Whatever you do, give yourself enough time to let them rest and pull them.  I did an all night smoke a few weeks ago and they finished early.  I did (4) 8-10 lb. Boston butts.  They hit 200 degrees in just under 12 hours.  I let them rest in the oven set at low as it would go. They rested for a total of 4 hours, uncovered.  I worried about them drying out.  It didn't happen at all.  When I pulled them, they were absolutely juicy and delicious.  So, don't be nervous about them resting too long.  It's better to have them done early.

I d
A couple pics I have of the mods, forgot to snap one of the bottom vents, but all parts are Weber replacements ordered off of Amazon.

Weber 72501 Replacement Charcoal Grate

Weber Charcoal Grill Smoker Kettle Damper Kit 77901

Not pictured are Weber Smoker 18 1/2" Smokey Mountain & Kettle 3 Pack Damper Kit 63105 which were installed on the bottom of the smoker, and I capped off the open hole in the middle with aluminum sheetmetal and some 3/6" rivets.
I did the same, except I added two Weber vents to the bottom of mine and then closed off the factory center hole. I also used two grates rather than one to try and keep charcoal spillage to a minimum in the pan.

I do use plain old water in my "water pan'...but getting some sand soon to give that a try.  I would put them on earlier....just in case.  July 4th...I had one of my 2 butts go for almost 20 hours.  It was hard headed! 
biggrin.gif

Kat

I d
I did the same, except I added two Weber vents to the bottom of mine and then closed off the factory center hole. I also used two grates rather than one to try and keep charcoal spillage to a minimum in the pan.
I saw a few people that did that, criss crossed the grates so the holes were alot smaller.  Good idea, If i have any problems, I will order another one.

Thanks to everyone who replied for all of the advice, I am going to rub/inject tonight...will take pictures of the process and let you all know how it comes out on Sunday.

Sounds like you have a plan. There will be members on here if you run into a snag or have a last minute question but you should be all set for a smooth smoke now 
thumb1.gif
  Looking forward to the pics of your progress 
beercheer.gif

Thought I'd update this thread with some pictures after all the help everyone gave me....

First pictures of the 2 butts i picked up:

Injected and rubbed Friday night:

Put it on the smoker last night at around 8:00 PM.  Took me a little bit to get the hang of controlling the temperature, but I was able to get it pretty stable by about midnight and went to bed.  Kept the wireless thermometer by me and got woken up twice during the night due to the temperatures dropping or spiking (held pretty steady between 210 and 240).  Was able to adjust pretty quick and get back to bed.  The meat has now been on 17 hours and I hope it tastes as good as it smells.  Glad I took everyones advice of starting earlier, because I had a pretty long meat temperature stall.  I am now at about 180 degrees, hope it will hit the 205 mark in the next 4 hours. 

Thanks again for the advice, I was impressed at how much sleep I was able to get being my first smoke ever, and will update this thread with finished pics.

Last edited:
Looks good .hope ya meant temps between 210 - 240???

Well, here are the finished pictures and it turned out pretty delicious and tender for my first smoke.  It was on the smoker for right at 21 hours.  This probably sounds like a rookie question but is the "bark" typically that dark?  I was nervous when I took it off, it almost looked burnt...but once I pulled it and took a bite, boy was it good!!

That's some Great looking bark!!! Yes it should look like that and as you now know once you pull it and get it all mixed together that bark adds an awesome flavor!!! Glad to see you didn't foil it, you won't get that great bark with foil!

Sleep while you smoke is a Great thing!!!

Now hurry up and eat that so you can smoke another one!

That's how she's supposed to look....great job! Now you need to get a vacuum sealer so you can smoke a lot more to freeze for later consumption and give away. You will forever ruin people from mass produced BBQ!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky