My dry-cured sausages have frozen solid during cold smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sheervelocity

Original poster
Jan 31, 2021
Up in central Ontario, Canada and the weather has dipped to about -20 °C. Just had the first overnighter of cold smoking a new batch of sausages and the fire went out overnight (constantly is but that's a different issue).

The sausages are frozen completely solid. I wonder what implications this may have on the fermentation process, also, I can't imagine I'm sapping too much moisture out of these with smoke when they're frozen f***ing solid.

I did not use culture this time - I'm using salt and Prague powder (#1 for one type #2 for the other two types). I realized when I began I was out of culture so I used two Marianski recipes that didn't use culture.

So.... Keep smoking hopefully it thaws and proceed as normal?

Reactions: kruizer
Think of cold smoking as a drying step with the presence of smoke. You need to thaw them and resume cold smoking. Need to keep the temp above about 45*F and preferably closer to 60*F.

Will do guys, back to the curing chamber they go until I find a way to keep it warmer out there (as there is no power out there).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky