My daughter’s charcoal smoker.... Toying Around

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Traeger.Rage.BBQ

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 30, 2018
DFW, TX
I decided to toy around with the daughter’s charcoal smoker that had never been fired off. It has been in my shed for nearly a year and I saw it again getting the mower out this morning. Having read and watched so many with the WSM’s tearing it up I decided to get some charcoal and toss some wood chips at it! Even opted for Hickory chips to try some hickory again with so many being ardent Hickory users here I decided to give Hickory another shake in my Traeger and oval smoke tube with a sack of pellets. I tossed some play sand in the water pan and went to it.

I had entirely forgotten how fun charcoal smoking can be. It looks like another $500 gonna be spent on a MSW 22”!

Kind of excited. The short quick smokes I think I would enjoy toying with the charcoal and wood and sipping something sweet and powerful!

07494369-7874-4A36-A666-59EA4DAF3880.jpeg

E841E4F4-AC9C-4294-9A44-6C4AE90C07F1.jpeg

Reactions: CharlotteLovesFood
How are you liking the fireboard?
I got one and loved it but had to send it back for repairs. The WiFi antenna on the inside chip broke off and was causing me to lose the signal after awhile.
Hope it gets fixed and back to me soon.
I really like it.

Reactions: Traeger.Rage.BBQ
How are you liking the fireboard?
I got one and loved it but had to send it back for repairs. The WiFi antenna on the inside chip broke off and was causing me to lose the signal after awhile.
Hope it gets fixed and back to me soon.
I really like it.
I am obsessed with it. Everything about it is exactly what I wanted and needed. The free online cloud space and the 6 inputs allows me to do just about anything.

I started with the igrill 2 and absolutely loved the app but the Bluetooth signal was a definite negative. We gave that to our daughter when we set her up with my modded out Traeger 22”.

I then bought a Tappacue and hated it right out of the box. Got stuck with a 15% restocking fee on that turd!

I pray your FireBoard comes home soon.

That takes me back. How many of us started on the old Brinkmann trash can?
My first personal smoker was a Masterbuilt Propane. Another perfect starter rig. I have never smoked on an upright can. I am loving it and sharing my notes with the daughter so she is able to reproduce my results on her little can.

In my opinion there is nothing more relaxing than tending a fire & drinking a few beers, while smelling the meat smoking!
Al
PROZACly Big Brother!

When one opts to go to the ‘set and forget’ pellet smokers you forget a lot of the fun in the process! I will absolutely be investing in a WSM 22”. The smell, the flavor, the experience nothing not to like. YEP, I need more of that. Having never used an upright can to charcoal smoke I am digging the results. Birds and ribs my never smoke on my Traeger again.
Labor of Love and adult beverages, somebodys gotta do it. LOL
INDEED...

The Bride runs an in-home daycare so no libations unit 6PM CDT, not like I’m counting or anything. But these babies smell like wonderful smoke when they go home!!! Plenty of parent comments about how hungry they get picking up their babies when Pat is off.

F3C67060-C851-4BDA-91C3-3E9FF01D6CA4.jpeg

My Bride decided she wanted some roasted salsa tonight for dinner so on the Brinkman can the veggies went!!!

Reactions: browneyesvictim
After sitting in an office for 12hrs a day looking at a computer screen or trouble shooting a tool. There's nothing more relaxing then ploping my old arse outside with the pooch skidmark enjoying a cold beverage. Charcoal smokers give me just enough of the set-it-and-forget-it that I don't have to worry to much, but still require some of my attention.

Chris

After sitting in an office for 12hrs a day looking at a computer screen or trouble shooting a tool. There's nothing more relaxing then ploping my old arse outside with the pooch skidmark enjoying a cold beverage. Charcoal smokers give me just enough of the set-it-and-forget-it that I don't have to worry to much, but still require some of my attention.

Chris
Chris,

I am absolutely seeing the joy in it. If this was engineered to the same quality and size as the WSM 22” I would be set. The construction of this dude is a limiting factor as for it being a longer cook option, but I can totally see the large Weber being a perfect addition to my patio. Sometimes we just want a certain flavor and charcoal is indeed one of those instances that I can very clearly see I need that on this particular patio. The 22” WSM model is ideally designed and sized for me to incorporate it into this patio.

My eyes are opened as to why many of you guys sharing here only use the WSM. I will be a hybrid from here forward.

Pat

Oh man those veggies look fantastic! Did you use that needle to inject them with some Lowreys or something?

Oh man those veggies look fantastic! Did you use that needle to inject them with some Lowreys or something?
HAHAHA...

That’s Lawry’s Red Pepper. The Bride has made fries for the babies and tossed that on the fries!!!

They all ate ‘em! HAHAHA...

That particular needle is the kitty’s meds oral syringe.

The salsa she made with the veggies is ridiculously good with a great char and smoke flavor.

Smoked salsa??? Man that sounds good.

I have a old smoke n grill in my basement, havent used it for years. I built a uds and a mini wsm and a wood fired uds.

Smoked salsa??? Man that sounds good.

I have a old smoke n grill in my basement, havent used it for years. I built a uds and a mini wsm and a wood fired uds.
The salsa was amazing. The jalapeños tend to lose some horsepower during the cooking process. 5 of the 6 went in. It does have some heat but that is more than double her salsa not cooking the jalapeños on the smoker.

Hee Hee! Glad you got my humor.
Seriously though... We need a post on your wife's smoked salsa!
All in favor? Like the post!
I have a pretty twisted sense of humor myself. I always zoom in on forum pics and notice the odd things folks include in their pics... Good Catch!

I will see to it that I get more veggies and smoke them up with a good char on them. I had the sand pan in the smoker today. I will do the next batch removing the heat damper to get a better char on the veggies and make a new thread.

Pat

I know what you mean....when I first started
smoking I started on a masterbuilt propane.... I thought it would be easier to control temps then charcoal as I was new....after 2 years it broke down and I got a 22 wsm....man I love it and the flavor is so much better.. Wish I would of started with one

I know what you mean....when I first started
smoking I started on a masterbuilt propane.... I thought it would be easier to control temps then charcoal as I was new....after 2 years it broke down and I got a 22 wsm....man I love it and the flavor is so much better.. Wish I would of started with one
EXACTLY!

I have smoked meats from childhood on but it was all on side boxed trailer smokers using oak or pecan exclusively. Lots of babysitting. As an adult on my own I just avoided smoking for many years. Just didn’t have the time to babysit the fire and smoke output.

I have owned charcoal grills, gas grills then I too had a Masterbuilt Propane because We decided it was time to smoke meats again. Our son opted into the Traeger nation after moving out. The best distance I ever got with my smoker was 6 hours. The set and forget capabilities of the Traeger got me and I snatched a steal off Craigslist. I have never smoked meats with a charcoal smoker. It really does acheieve a flavor that no other smoking configuration is capable of. I will have some form of charcoal smoking for those times we want that char and smoke flavor. I spend 3-4 nights a week on the patio cooking something.

Just picked up two 17# Prime packers to smoke next week for a graduation party for our daughter.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Pat

Personally, I like the way the sausages fit that Grill just right.:D:D:D
Almost like they were stuffed with that grill in mind & the number of each size.

Bear

Personally, I like the way the sausages fit that Grill just right.:D:D:D
Almost like they were stuffed with that grill in mind & the number of each size.

Bear
RIGHT!

My Bride handed me the packs and said cook them all. My analytical OCD took over!

Pat

Hey Pat!
I heard a rattling in my fireboard box and called them 2 weeks ago. Talked with ted the founder, and he told me to take the back cover off. Turns out that The WiFi antenna fell off of the Einstein intel chip. That’s the reason why I was having some connectivity issues every now and then.
So fireboard got back to me and they went ahead and replaced the entire box.
Great customer service. Wondering if they sent out a completely new unit with new board and probes?? We shall see on Tuesday when it’s supposed to arrive.
All that to say when I read about the fireboard, I loved it right away.

Hey Pat!
I heard a rattling in my fireboard box and called them 2 weeks ago. Talked with ted the founder, and he told me to take the back cover off. Turns out that The WiFi antenna fell off of the Einstein intel chip. That’s the reason why I was having some connectivity issues every now and then.
So fireboard got back to me and they went ahead and replaced the entire box.
Great customer service. Wondering if they sent out a completely new unit with new board and probes?? We shall see on Tuesday when it’s supposed to arrive.
All that to say when I read about the fireboard, I loved it right away.
@TulsaJeff’s write up here is the specific reason I bought it. I believe it is Ted that is a member here on the board. He posted on Jeff’s review thread. I had just ordered a Tappacue and it was so not for me at all. I had to eat a 15% restocking fee on that turd!

Doesn’t surprise me one bit! FireBoard has a great thing going and the future expansion of the serial port is going to produce some great BBQ accessories for it. It can already control a fan based on the ambient temp of port 1.

I’m so glad they got you squared away J.

Pat

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky