more rib questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokindragon

Original poster
Mar 6, 2010
ok first of all i hope there isnt a limit to the posts cuz im prolly there and i just started. aaaaanyways

k im smokin for the first time on this barrel style bullet style what ever its called lol and they been on bout an hour now theres a good yummy steady stream of smoke coming from it but do i check the ribs not check the ribs ?? turn them or no?? sorry if im a pain if i am just say so lol

thanks SmokinDragon

I say check em...that way you know what they look like an hour into a cook. Dont keep the lid open very long or you'll loose your heat, smoke and everytime you open the door you lengthen the time needed to cook.

It's a learning process, that's how we learn. If you put your hand on the same shelf the ribs are on you'll get scorched...but you'll learn not to do that again.

ok his might be a sin but remember im new i do not have any thermometer except my meat thermometer and the one one the smoker...
icon_eek.gif

and i dont think the one on the smoker is working it hasnt raised off 100 (which incidently is the lowest number on it).

btw its bout 38-40 degrees out now.

am i wrong to expect another 2 hours for the smoke...
icon_question.gif

Well - it all depends on what the real temp is. What type of ribs are you doing - Baby Backs or Spares?
Back ribs I usually go 4 or so hours at 230 - 250 and 6 hours for spares....

country style boneless ribs been on just about 3 hours meat therm says there at about 110

Consider investing in a good cabinet therm, and check it for calibration. Most factory units aren't worth the space they take up. Also consider getting a meat probe type therm, you'll be glad you did it. Smoking temps and internal temps are your guidelines. Good luck my friend.

Patients Grasshopper
Leave them alone for a while. If you don't have a thermometer go by feel and how they look. For me ribs are the easiest to tell if they are cooked or not.
Remember the Q-View.

good luck.

ok yall im the ribs for the most part arent bad great smoke ring good smokey flavor think theres a hint of creosite or what ever that is that makes the tongue tingle like numb
icon_eek.gif
but its not throughout just hint here or there.

i know i seen bout that somewhere on here but cant find it again lol

what is it that causes that again??

Usually too much smoke or thick white smoke. For the most part, you only want thin wisps of blue smoke. If you see no smoke at all but still can smell it, you're smoking.

Putting the meat on before the smoker is fully warmed up can also cause bitter tasting condensate to drip onto the meat.

Don't feel bad.
biggrin.gif
My first ribs did exaxtly the same thing to my tounge. I thought it was the pepper in the rub. It wasn't.
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif

Dave

I am with dave on the smoke... we all been there and done it so dont feel like your alone cause far from it... great to have you learning and asking questions as you do. helps others learn along the way. everyone may think who wants to have questions like this, we are way past that arnt we... but we really dont know the scope of people who read these threads. only things i suggest are get into the thermos, you need one or two. also some qview of your smoke would have been nice... maybe next time...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

most the smoke was white a kinda billowy when it was smokein then it calmed down and was just whispy greyish white smoke. thinkin maybe put ribs on to early ???

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky