Monday Smashed burgers and Curry tots!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mdboatbum

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 22, 2011
Washington, DC
Gave the Fam-damily a choice between burgers and chicken curry last night. Burgers was the resounding winner, but I really had a taste for curry. So I decided to make tater tots with curry gravy to go with the burgers.
The tater tots are your basic frozen variety. The curry gravy is a little different. For years I've been making sauces and gravies without a roux. I feel like it lets the flavors of the herbs and spices shine through without the added fat from the roux shrouding the flavors.

IMG_2150.jpg

For this I added a tablespoon of beef base, about a teaspoon each of curry powder, cumin, smoked paprika, turmeric and parsley flakes and 3 tablespoons of flour to 3 cups of water in a jug. Then just shook it up until everything was incorporated and there were no lumps. You can also use a blender or a stick blender.

IMG_2151.jpg

Then just simmer it for 20-30 minutes. As soon as it comes to a boil it'll thicken up. You do wanna simmer it for at least 20 minutes, otherwise it'll have a raw flour taste.

IMG_2153.jpg

Onto the burgers!! I've settled on 3oz. as the perfect size for smashed burgers on the griddle.

IMG_2149.jpg

Then onto the griddle and smash 'em flat!!

IMG_2156.jpg

IMG_2158.jpg

Then Flip 'em when they're ready. About 5 minutes

IMG_2169.jpg

Then a little Swiss cheese.

IMG_2176.jpg

Then the wife dressed the buns with a little mayo, mustard and ketchup and a walk through the garden.

IMG_2140.jpg

Then it was time to eat!!

IMG_2181.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

Looks tasty as heck... smash burgers and gravy tots, how wonderful is that!

Ryan

Reactions: mdboatbum
Gave the Fam-damily a choice between burgers and chicken curry last night. Burgers was the resounding winner, but I really had a taste for curry. So I decided to make tater tots with curry gravy to go with the burgers.
The tater tots are your basic frozen variety. The curry gravy is a little different. For years I've been making sauces and gravies without a roux. I feel like it lets the flavors of the herbs and spices shine through without the added fat from the roux shrouding the flavors.

View attachment 694070

For this I added a tablespoon of beef base, about a teaspoon each of curry powder, cumin, smoked paprika, turmeric and parsley flakes and 3 tablespoons of flour to 3 cups of water in a jug. Then just shook it up until everything was incorporated and there were no lumps. You can also use a blender or a stick blender.

View attachment 694071

Then just simmer it for 20-30 minutes. As soon as it comes to a boil it'll thicken up. You do wanna simmer it for at least 20 minutes, otherwise it'll have a raw flour taste.

View attachment 694072

Onto the burgers!! I've settled on 3oz. as the perfect size for smashed burgers on the griddle.

View attachment 694074

Then onto the griddle and smash 'em flat!!

View attachment 694075

View attachment 694076

Then Flip 'em when they're ready. About 5 minutes

View attachment 694077

Then a little Swiss cheese.

View attachment 694080

Then the wife dressed the buns with a little mayo, mustard and ketchup and a walk through the garden.

View attachment 694078

Then it was time to eat!!

View attachment 694079

Thanks for stopping by!
Man that looks great! Love the taters and custom gravy.

Reactions: mdboatbum
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky