Missouri's newest

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dr. worm

Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
Columbia, Missouri
Hey all. I just got a new Brinkmann cabinet smoker for my birthday and can hardly wait to try it out. I grew up in Kansas City and have ruined a dozen or more t-shirts at Arthur Bryant's but have never tried slow smoking meats myself. Rest assured I'll be digging around the forums for tips, tricks and recipes.

Dr. Worm
Glad you joined us and welcome to SMF !!!
Be sure and let us know about your first smoke and do not forget to season your new smoker.

I'm sure you've already got something in mind, but here are some starting out suggestions; just some things that are inexpensive and forgiving when starting out:

1.) Pork - Picnic Shoulder Roast: It may take nearly 15 hours to smoke, but you can pick one up for about 10 bucks and do several things with it. Pulled for sammies, chili, bbq spegetti, or bbq pizza; it's very verstile. It is also very hard to screw up, so it works well for a starter.

2.) Fatty - If you don't have time for pulled pork, try a fatty. Take a Jimmy Dean sausage chub and rub it with a good pork rub. Smoke for at couple of hours at 225 until it reaches 165 internal. When you get the hang of it, you can fill the fatties with all kinds of things. I like to fill mine with green peppers, onions, and cheese. Slice yourself some thick pieces with some fresh biscuits, mayo, and tomatoes.

3.) Beef Ribs - OK, not really good for a starter, but still cheaper than a rack of pork ribs. Here in Sedalia, you can get a good sized rack for $6 bucks. You can get your rib fix cheap!

There are tons of other things you can get started with. Take a look around and ask many questions.

Hope this helps.

THE DR. is in..............ya know I always thought that Dr. said "quick smoking" not start.....LOL
Anyways..........welcome to the forum. You have found the right place to find everything you need to get started and more, and more, and more....
There is alot of knowledge in here.
Enjoy it, don't forget to ask any questions.

Andy

Welcome to the smf Doc................Great to have you here..........Don't forget to take some pics of smoker and of your first smoke............

Welcome Doc. I'm with Geek, try the Pork shoulder to start (fatty too). Easy and lots of ways to fix it. Check out the pork section for specifics. Good luck.

Welcome from the Bootheel! You will quickly learn that you prefer your own BBQ over the restaurants!

Welcome from NW Mo. If you don't want to do a long smoke right of the bat, get your self some country style ribs. They are just pork shoulder and are also forgiving, and should cook in less time than a butt or picnic. Just check a few of the heavier pieces with a therm. and when they hit 150, wrap in foil for about 1 hr., pull from smoker to rest for 30 min. or so and enjoy. 2 cents worth.

Columbia eh? Home of MidwayUSA and a lot of fond memories (concerts, college parties, etc.). LOL I grew up in St. Martins, just west of Jefferson City. Glad to see ya here. Stick around, you'll enjoy the company, and hopefully share a few stories with us.

I'll probably start with a shoulder and a few fatties as that seems to be the place to start and after all, who doesn't like pulled pork sammies. I love this forum but I always seem to walk away from my computer hungry.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky