Mini-Fatty...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sonny, If I understood you mathematics correctly it sounded like you used a little over a 1/2 lb. of burger. A gallon zip lock would be way to big for that amount of meat. Maybe next time you can try to only roll it flat to fill 1/2 the bag or bagless on a cutting board and just square it up with your knife skills. I think mine roll out to be a little over a 1/4 inch thick. BTW you said the significant other tried a piece - did she like it?

Chris

Hi Chris,
Yes, 2 quarter pounders, plus ~½ patty, so about ½ the amount you use for yours (1¼ pounds) IIRC.
I was aiming for half your amount, or 5/8 pound. +/- 10 ounces for my Fatty Patty. Really close, because I weigh my hamburger, and use a Weston patty press to make my burger patties. But I did not actually weigh the odd ball of patty precisely. It looked to be around half. (I think the other 2 ounces was: A. Error of my scale. or B. Butchers thumb. Because the odd lot was the tail end of 7.08 pounds of hamburger. Should have been much closer to 28 full ¼ pound patties. Likely scale error.)
And sure enough, the 1 gallon bag was quite too big. But it got me a Fatty Patty to play with once I got it out of the bag.
Then I had it on a sheet of waxed paper, with another over it so I could fiddle it into roughly a square.
It did work out well, after all. The silly waxed paper began falling apart when I tried to roll the loaded Fatty Patty from it.
But with perseverance I won. :rolleyes: I got it rolled. ;)

I just asked the wife and she said it was good, but over done. She thought the bacon weave was great the way it came out. Which I guess is the Classic Fatty wrapper. She thought the inside looked good, too.

I went back over the chronology of it and 3.5 hours tells why it was over cooked. The Char-Broil was tickin along at 350°, Which I found out today is ~360° via my ThermoPro.
Surprising it wasn't a Fatty Biltong. LOL! :confused::D

But it is tasty, and definitely something to work on to make well. I like it, and I'm glad I took the plunge to try it.
Your tutorial was why I dove in and tried. ;):)

I vill be bach!

Last edited:
Haha Sonny I love this! I was going to do a couple baby ones because the OH is an insane person, yep he doesn't like cheese?!?!?!
I love cheese!! so plan to make 2.
You're mini fatty looks amazing! And I too feel like the diagonal weave is the way to go..it's just so damn pretty!!

Great Job!

Reactions: SonnyE
Haha Sonny I love this! I was going to do a couple baby ones because the OH is an insane person, yep he doesn't like cheese?!?!?!
I love cheese!! so plan to make 2.
You're mini fatty looks amazing! And I too feel like the diagonal weave is the way to go..it's just so damn pretty!!

Great Job!

Sonny that looks great,they are on the todo list
Richie

Thank You Charlotte!
Doesn't like cheese? Hummm, well if that is his only fault... LOL!
I don't like Rutabagas or Lima Beans. But I found much later in life that if you put more ham than beans in the Lima Beans, you can choke them down.
The Mini might just be the way to go. I'm encouraged to make +/- ½ pounder's. With a half pound patty it would be easy to make customization Fatty's to feed Picky Patrick's, or Stick in the Mud Sam's, or Henry Dangerous'.
Think along the lines of the Omlette. Hamburger or Sausage as the Patty, add the likes to it, roll it, weave the bacon, roll the Fatty Patty in the Bacon Blanket, and cook as desired.
(Just don't cook it for 3½ hours.... Unless you like it dry as a popcorn fart.)
I think it would be fun to watch what your culinary skills could do with this.

Thank You Richie!
I needed to start small. Now I'm wanting to try a personalized ½ pounder. But not over cooked. :p
I was really surprised how easy, fun, and quick these can be ready for the grill or oven.
For my household where non-smoked and smoked co-exist (Hey, she's Apple, I'm PC) I could smoke mine, and leave hers bland.
But going small was a good way to get my feet wet. Maybe for you, too?
If nothing else, it works to make my goofs smaller, and easier to hide. LOL!

Reactions: CharlotteLovesFood
Hahahaha I love this, I'm going to steal it!

You can't Sweetheart, I give it to you!

Back in the early 1990's, I wrote volumes of Poems. Friends pushed me to publish.
I wrestled with it for a while. Then decided it helped me, maybe others could find something the rhymes as well.
So I decided to give it away on the Internet.
And since then, I figure anything on the Internet that I put up is Free. Maybe I can give somebody a thought, a smile, or make them laugh.

Ring-A-Ling
Go Check That Thing,
Charlotte.

There, it's all your's Kid. ;)

Last edited:
Thank You Charlotte!
Doesn't like cheese? Hummm, well if that is his only fault... LOL!
I don't like Rutabagas or Lima Beans. But I found much later in life that if you put more ham than beans in the Lima Beans, you can choke them down.
The Mini might just be the way to go. I'm encouraged to make +/- ½ pounder's. With a half pound patty it would be easy to make customization Fatty's to feed Picky Patrick's, or Stick in the Mud Sam's, or Henry Dangerous'.
Think along the lines of the Omlette. Hamburger or Sausage as the Patty, add the likes to it, roll it, weave the bacon, roll the Fatty Patty in the Bacon Blanket, and cook as desired.
(Just don't cook it for 3½ hours.... Unless you like it dry as a popcorn fart.)
I think it would be fun to watch what your culinary skills could do with this.

You can't Sweetheart, I give it to you!

Back in the early 1990's, I wrote volumes of Poems. Friends pushed me to publish.
I wrestled with it for a while. Then decided it helped me, maybe others could find something the rhymes as well.
So I decided to give it away on the Internet.
And since then, I figure anything on the Internet that I put up is Free. Maybe I can give somebody a thought, a smile, or make them laugh.

Ring-A-Ling
Go Check That Thing,
Charlotte.

There, it's all your's Kid. ;)

Sounds good to me Sonny!
I made fatties today...i meant to do minis, I really did but ended up with a sausage fatty and a beef flatty hahaha...ill post soon as I can (I have babybacks on now) they were lovely though :p
I was on a poetry site for a very short while... it's sometimes good to write things down, makes you feel good! :D

Thank you I'm honoured... will use it everytime I cook now! ...and you always brighten my day on here and make me laugh! ;)

I have 4 sisters, two older, two younger. You could say I grew up in the fire... Being the only Son, and being right in the middle of 5 Baby-Boomers.
My Dad had ONE show he insisted he get to watch on our television, Red Skelton.
Red's was a lot of really clean hilarity comedy, Slapstick humor.

Even here, in Prince Albert Hall. ;)

I was just a little shaver in those days, single and early double digit years...
In life, I kind of started off wide-eyed and wondering. But eventually I found my groove and my objective was to do my best, and to try and leave people, even from an argument, with a smile. It's really hard to stay mad when you are laughing.
I think that got ingrained in me by my Dad. Even if I got cuffed upside the head, or the occasional boot in the butt, it was to make sure he had my attention. Now-day's people would be aghast. I look back and I smile. :rolleyes:
And I Thank God he was my Dad. He taught me to stand as a man, Mom taught us to Love with all our hearts.
Friendship and Love are Free. So it takes no effort to give as much as you can. And the rewards for the time taken are immeasurable.
So, Ding-A-Ling Check that Thing, Charlotte.
I think you will long remember the Grandpa who wanted you to have that for your very own.
You, and our eldest Grand Daughter are only about 1 year apart in age. My aim is to encourage a talent I see in you.
Keep cookin Kid! :)

PS: I hope your OH knows what he's got in you. Even if he doesn't like cheese....

Last edited:
Looks really good Sonny nice weave

Thank You Phil!
All in All, a lot of fun.
Next time (every since) I'm using my ThermoPro for IT.
I used it for BB Ribs Sunday, and Chicken thighs and drums today.
:D LOL!
(I've been a bad boy!) :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 4 sisters, two older, two younger. You could say I grew up in the fire... Being the only Son, and being right in the middle of 5 Baby-Boomers.
My Dad had ONE show he insisted he get to watch on our television, Red Skelton.
Red's was a lot of really clean hilarity comedy, Slapstick humor.

Even here, in Prince Albert Hall. ;)

I was just a little shaver in those days, single and early double digit years...
In life, I kind of started off wide-eyed and wondering. But eventually I found my groove and my objective was to do my best, and to try and leave people, even from an argument, with a smile. It's really hard to stay mad when you are laughing.
I think that got ingrained in me by my Dad. Even if I got cuffed upside the head, or the occasional boot in the butt, it was to make sure he had my attention. Now-day's people would be aghast. I look back and I smile. :rolleyes:
And I Thank God he was my Dad. He taught me to stand as a man, Mom taught us to Love with all our hearts.
Friendship and Love are Free. So it takes no effort to give as much as you can. And the rewards for the time taken are immeasurable.
So, Ding-A-Ling Check that Thing, Charlotte.
I think you will long remember the Grandpa who wanted you to have that for your very own.
You, and our eldest Grand Daughter are only about 1 year apart in age. My aim is to encourage a talent I see in you.
Keep cookin Kid! :)

PS: I hope your OH knows what he's got in you. Even if he doesn't like cheese....
I'm one of five too but being the youngest I created all the mischief...I too am no stranger to a 'good hiding' which roughly translates to a quick backhander from mommy Val and I was a 90's kid hehe...still I appreciate her 'tough love' :rolleyes::D

Awww haha not sure I'd say I was talented, but eager nonetheless so I will keep cooking ;)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky