Messed up brine time. Need advice.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Canadagrown

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 5, 2019
So I planned to smoke a pork shoulder on Sunday, but momentarily thought today was Saturday and I injected the shoulder, covered it up and put in the fridge. So instead of 12 hrs it will be brining for 36 hrs. Is this going to ruin the meat? I’ve only ever brined overnight. Im having lots of guests over. I’m such an idiot.

You should be fine. You could take it out of the brine tomorrow afternoon. And let it rest in the fridge uncovered to form a pellicle. Which will aid in smoking.

Injection recipe
-3/4c apple juice
-1/2c water
-1/4c salt
-1/2c sugar
-2tblsp Worcestershire

Thanks for that. So, you are using the Chris Lilly pork injection, a lot of folks love that. Was that Kosher salt or canning salt? There is a big difference because of grain size.

Anyways, I find Chris's injection too strong for my tastes if using Kosher salt, canning salt would be very salty. My injectable LiteBrine and LiteAppleBrine use 1 gram of salt per ounce of liquid, but that is my personal threshold. It sounds like you are stuck with your timetable. And we don't know how many guests are salt sensitive. I would consider a water soak-out of 4 or 5 hours, changing the water at least twice. Also, don't use a rub that is heavy on salt. And if you serve a table sauce with your barbecue, have a sweet one available.

The best thing is.... relax. Chances are your guests don't experience pulled pork that often. It will be a treat for them. The last tip is only if you are making sandwiches.... coleslaw is the classic topping. If you make or buy a sweeter coleslaw it will offset some saltiness.

It will be fine, most likely the best one you've made.
Just don't use a rub that is loaded with salt or it may be to salty.

Let us know how it turns out.
Dan

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky