MES30 upgrade and DigiQ DX2

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mad_Merckx

Original poster
Aug 6, 2023
A long time lurker so I thought I’d share some modifications and upgrades I have completed on my cabinet. I know there is a wide consensus on the short comings of the installed temperature controller though I have been satisfied with mine, that is until it failed! I removed the failed controller and stripped it down to assess my next steps.

I have the MES30-Ver1.0 (square corner controller) for well over 10 years and use it frequently. Rather than buying a new smoker or an Auber temperature controller I elected to us my DigiQ DX2 that I own to replace the failed controller. The DigiQ is typically used to control a fan in my wood/charcoal smokers.

I did a total rewire using the 12VDC output from the DigiQ to drive a SSR (solid state relay) controlling the MES heater. Very happy with the outcome and have been utilizing it about 9 months. Just an idea for those that own a DigiQ and may want to dual purpose it. Minor parts cost and all items can be sourced from e-bay.

Additional mods:
-Removed the chip loader and tray many years ago and utilize the A-maz-N smoke tube.
-Reversed the heater element and added a stainless steel diffuser, the diffuser is about 25% open. Not certain it improves heat distribution but completed anyway.
-Added exterior handles for carrying ease. One of my favorite mods! Makes it much easier to lug around.

I have attached a few photos to highlight my changes.
IMG_0328.jpeg
IMG_0332.jpeg
IMG_0333.jpeg

Welcome to the forum. Like the mods on the smoker. Look forward to more post and pics.

Jim

A long time lurker so I thought I’d share some modifications and upgrades I have completed on my cabinet. I know there is a wide consensus on the short comings of the installed temperature controller though I have been satisfied with mine, that is until it failed! I removed the failed controller and stripped it down to assess my next steps.

I have the MES30-Ver1.0 (square corner controller) for well over 10 years and use it frequently. Rather than buying a new smoker or an Auber temperature controller I elected to us my DigiQ DX2 that I own to replace the failed controller. The DigiQ is typically used to control a fan in my wood/charcoal smokers.

I did a total rewire using the 12VDC output from the DigiQ to drive a SSR (solid state relay) controlling the MES heater. Very happy with the outcome and have been utilizing it about 9 months. Just an idea for those that own a DigiQ and may want to dual purpose it. Minor parts cost and all items can be sourced from e-bay.

Additional mods:
-Removed the chip loader and tray many years ago and utilize the A-maz-N smoke tube.
-Reversed the heater element and added a stainless steel diffuser, the diffuser is about 25% open. Not certain it improves heat distribution but completed anyway.
-Added exterior handles for carrying ease. One of my favorite mods! Makes it much easier to lug around.

I have attached a few photos to highlight my changes.
View attachment 672858View attachment 672859View attachment 672860
Hi there and welcome!

That all looks and sounds fantastic. Great work!

Nice work curious to know how your new controller works? I’m just going through some tuning steps with my PID on my second GEN Mes30 digital.

Cheers

Nice work curious to know how your new controller works? I’m just going through some tuning steps with my PID on my second GEN Mes30 digital.

Cheers
The DigiQ is non-tunable and relies on an automated algorithm. The gain, reset, rate settings are not accessible to the end user and work fine in this application.

I purchased for long overnight smokes on my large WSM and it performed well for this application. I trialed it on the MES30 and was very pleased with the performance, so made the final mod for permanent use.
If you currently own a DigiQ give it a try.

Reactions: kilohertz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky