MES lookin' pretty rough .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Did some sausage over the last couple weeks , and noticed my old MES 30 was lookin' pretty rough . Then seeing all the talk about electric smokers , and guys getting new ones , I was thinking about getting something myself . Before I put the controller on mine I was looking at the Snoopy smoker from TSM , and the Smokin Tex type . I really liked both , but at that time they were not PID controlled . So I decided to buy the Auber and add it to the MES , knowing I could use it on a newer / different smoker if needed .

Bought this thing in 2013 for $149.00 on a black Friday sale . Been sitting outside since . Under a roof , but never covered . Added a mailbox , and replaced the element . Other than that and the Auber , I've done nothing but use it . Has a lot of hours on it too .
I started thinking I would just retire it . In a conversation with another member he said " You could make that last forever " .
Been sitting in this spot since I bought it .
20231025_094559.jpg

So I decided to just see if it would clean up some .
The door was the only part that was getting rusty . The rest was just dirty / neglected . Cleaned the sides and top , then hit those with some Mothers car wax .
20231107_105857.jpg

Knocked down the surface of the door with a sanding sponge and hit it with some Rust-oleum .
Didn't want to paint anything that didn't need it . No sense in creating a problem that didn't exist ,
but it made the sides and trim look dingy . That's OK .
20231107_114547.jpg
Did some scraping and brushing on the inside . I burn actual wood chunks
at higher temps . All gutted , and angles added at the top .
I can hang 20" from the angle .
20231107_115016.jpg
All back together and ready for the ham I have in the fridge .
Day 13 of the injection cure . Gonna pull it out and rinse , then back in the fridge uncovered until tomorrow .
She almost looks proud . Now I need to sand down the table and reseal it .
That base is re-purposed from my old Char Griller Pro . The stack on the exhaust is from the Char griller
also . Gives it great draft .
20231107_160909.jpg
The dog sniffed me out a snack . Frog jerky .
20231107_131237.jpg
So guess I'm not getting a new smoker . Outside of the opinions of these ,
they really work good with just a few upgrades .

Some nice work there Rich, good job! Tough to beat the feeling of accomplishment after a project like that and now you still have a little jingle in your jeans. What's not to like! RAY

Did some sausage over the last couple weeks , and noticed my old MES 30 was lookin' pretty rough . Then seeing all the talk about electric smokers , and guys getting new ones , I was thinking about getting something myself . Before I put the controller on mine I was looking at the Snoopy smoker from TSM , and the Smokin Tex type . I really liked both , but at that time they were not PID controlled . So I decided to buy the Auber and add it to the MES , knowing I could use it on a newer / different smoker if needed .

Bought this thing in 2013 for $149.00 on a black Friday sale . Been sitting outside since . Under a roof , but never covered . Added a mailbox , and replaced the element . Other than that and the Auber , I've done nothing but use it . Has a lot of hours on it too .
I started thinking I would just retire it . In a conversation with another member he said " You could make that last forever " .
View attachment 680586

The door was the only part that was getting rusty . The rest was just dirty / neglected . Cleaned the sides and top , then hit those with some Mothers car wax .
View attachment 680587

Knocked down the surface of the door with a sanding sponge and hit it with some Rust-oleum .
Didn't want to paint anything that didn't need it . No sense in creating a problem that didn't exist ,
View attachment 680589
View attachment 680590
Day 13 of the injection cure . Gonna pull it out and rinse , then back in the fridge uncovered until tomorrow .
That base is re-purposed from my old Char Griller Pro . The stack on the exhaust is from the Char griller
View attachment 680591
View attachment 680592
Way good motivation. I have one still functional MES30. I have another i used twice and it went T*ts up. I think it was the bluetooth paraphenalia. Too old and lazy to pursue. it makes a good table by my blackstone. That was all before I found SMF.

Reactions: chopsaw
Nice come back from the dead.
Give it a coat of mineral oil every so often to stave off the rust.

View attachment 680586

View attachment 680587

View attachment 680589
View attachment 680590
View attachment 680591
View attachment 680592
Wow man that looks like a completely refreshed smoker, great work!

Even though I made some sausage hanging rack inserts, I still kinda wanna do the angle brackets like you did even though I don't NEED to hahahaha.

The timing of this post is funny. My brother's MES door hinge was toast and he was using a ratchet strap to hold is door in place properly while smoking. This past weekend he strapped the door back on even and screwed some hinges on it and removed the old busted hinges.
I guess you both have a somewhat refreshed smoking going now hahaha. :D

My top looks like your door on the before pic. Don't think it's rust but does not clean up. As expected nice job!

Awesome refurb job there Rich! You'll get another 10 years out of it at least now. I wish stuff would last that long down here but with the year round high humidity you can watch stuff rust! LOL!

Nice clean up job Rich! Look forward to seeing your ham... just love ham!

Ryan

I thought some of you might enjoy the clean up . I just let it go to long . I clean all my other grills / smokers after each cook . This thing really is a workhorse , and I have it dialed in .
No real reason to give up on it .
Love saving old stuff!
Me too . Always looking for something to work on . I have to ask , where is swamp east Mo. ?
jingle in your jeans.
Not for long . I have an itch to buy me something nice . Lol .
Heck yeah, got a lot of life left in it.
They really do . Life after Auber is long .
My top looks like your door on the before pic. Don't think it's rust but does not clean up. As expected nice job!
Might be greasy vapor from the exhaust ?
Thanks for the nudge on the re-do .

Reactions: normanaj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky