MES 130 completed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DPeterson

Original poster
Jun 21, 2018
IMG_4066.JPG
IMG_4064.JPG
i got a new smoker for Father's Day and decided I wanted it portable. I found an old shopping cart at an antique store and decided it would be my frame. I know, redneck. At least that is what my son says. I read as many post as I could and decided to use the mail box as my fire box. I installed a Pellet tray and piped it up to the smoker. I am going to put a remote thermometer in it and bought the silicone grommets but am not sure about installing them. Is there insulation between the side walls? If so do I put grommets on both sides? Where at on the smoker is the best place to put the grommets?
I did a season run yesterday and everything worked. Now it is time to smoke something, probably some chicken breast or something cheap in case I screw up.

I have to admit the first thing I thought was 'Man that is so redneck' as well LOL.

If I may make a suggestion; no idea where you live, but that set up makes me cringe when I think of some of the storms I get here. I'd get some good Paracord and tent stakes, just to ram it into the ground, like one for each corner, and then two on the sides or some thing. Shouldn't cost much and might save you a few hundred dollars of pain if a storm whips through.

Like I legit saw a min fridge, inside a small shed -attached- to a house get thrown across a 20 foot yard before by a storm. I don't want to imagine what my MES could do if I put it up on a stand. <Do like your idea though...I want to raise mine up, but the stability is a concern to me!>

Reactions: DPeterson
It will spend its down time in the garage and I put a band over the smoker to bolt it to the cart.

Came out good DPete . I have thought about putting a probe hole thru the side of mine ,,, I don't know . Something tells me not to . Yes the walls have insulation in them . I just run mine thru the door , or done the top vent .

Reactions: DPeterson
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky