Memorial Day '18 Pulled Pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brentos260

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
Fort Wayne, IN
I hope you all are experiencing great weather similar to how it's been in NE Indiana for the weekend - Sunny & hot, perfect Holiday Weekend weather! I smoke a bone-in butt for pulled pork every Memorial Day and this year's looks amazing so I thought I would share. I coated with mustard and applied rub around noon yesterday and into the fridge it went. I took it out and added more rub last night around 8 while the smoker was finishing it's climb to the 260 degree range. I wanted to try the hot and fast method from SmokinAl SmokinAl but I knew it would be finished too soon. That's ok because it gives me a reason to do another one soon! Onto the smoker at 8:20PM last night it went. Exactly 12 hours later it came off at 8:20A this morning. My Maverick only went off once last night due to the WSM being 1 degree above my upper temp threshold so I closed the one open vent just a little and went back to sleep until it went off this morning at the 10 degrees-til-finish alarm.

This was my second cook with Royal Oak briquettes and I've been VERY impressed after some recent strings of strange events with KBB. I had almost sworn of KBB until I went to Home Depot yesterday and they had two packs of 18.6 lbs bags of briquettes for $9.98.

Here's some pictures I took along the way. Have a safe and Happy Memorial Day weekend. Many thanks to those who have served and those who are currently serving this great
Nation!

1.jpg

One last picture before sleeping in the smoke.
2.jpg

3.jpg

I did spritz on the hour for the first five hours but didn't take any pictures. Here's one of the finished product before pulling it, wrapping it, and placing into a cooler to rest.

4.jpg

I forgot a couple photos, here is one of my Minion Method setup. I never had to add a single briq once i added the inital 12 lit briqs to this set up. That's about 80/20 mixture of Hickory and Apple wood.

A624160A-C740-4DEA-B5A4-F9548A925F94.jpeg

Also, on a side note i added a 22” Weber kettle to the arsenal yesterday, here’s a picture of the first cook on it.

A25775F7-9880-4EFF-BAD8-BFF42FC5B6BA.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: noboundaries
Looking good Brentos. Why do you put the slits in the fat cap? Does that help render it down? I like to keep mine whole and pull it off as my butt rests and I make pork rinds out of it.

GO BLUE?!!!!!

Looking good Brentos. Why do you put the slits in the fat cap? Does that help render it down? I like to keep mine whole and pull it off as my butt rests and I make pork rinds out of it.

GO BLUE?!!!!!

I've noticed some folks on here that will place cuts in the fat cap. I never have until now and did it only to see if I notice a difference in taste. I suppose the thinking may be that more smoke can penetrate the top side of the meat this way.

And yes, Go Blue!

Those "string of strange events with KBB" happened to me, too. I tried RO Ridge and haven't looked back. I've only got about 5 lbs of KBB left to use exclusively in my Kettle. When it's gone, I'll be a Ridge guy everywhere.

One thing I like to do with butts in my WSM is keep the fat cap intact and place it on the grate side toward the heat to act as a heat buffer. I get a nice even bark across the top that way. Try it and see which you like best.

A great big "Like" for your post B260!

Those "string of strange events with KBB" happened to me, too. I tried RO Ridge and haven't looked back. I've only got about 5 lbs of KBB left to use exclusively in my Kettle. When it's gone, I'll be a Ridge guy everywhere.

One thing I like to do with butts in my WSM is keep the fat cap intact and place it on the grate side toward the heat to act as a heat buffer. I get a nice even bark across the top that way. Try it and see which you like best.

A great big "Like" for your post B260!

Thanks for the like! I think I remember reading on here a few months back that someone stated Kingsford changed their recipe (for lack of a better term) they use when producing KBB. I didn't think much of it until using the last two bags I had on long smokes. I've been running it exclusively in my WSM for about 4 years now with no issues until these last two bags. I've used the exact same set-up everytime but with the last couple smokes the charcoal would just stop burning...

I am on the same page - the KBB will be exclusively for Kettle use only. RO will be the official fuel of my WSM moving forward.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky