Masterbuilt Thermo Temp 330g question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MeatMonger

Original poster
Mar 27, 2019
Lexington VA
I just picked up this smoker last night. I ran it for three hours seasoning it. It held a constant temp good but the dial was way off. At the 175 setting it held a temp of 255, a few mod I am planning.

#1 I plan to add #6 screws to some of the burner holes (hopefully this will help calibrate the dial).

#2 Use RTV to make a gasket.

#3 Needle valve.

#4 Cast Iron skillet for wood chunks.

Should the skillet sit on the heat stock shield or should it be removed to get the skillet closer to the fire?

Let me know if you have any extra advice or mods. Thanks

Attachments

• Capture+_2019-03-28-13-37-05.png
    Capture+_2019-03-28-13-37-05.png
    410.5 KB · Views: 43
D84AA4B4-F886-46C5-89D4-FFB1AB0B8C73.jpeg
1C8C2BD5-6BD4-4C1A-8118-9C4A0400A74D.jpeg
A0D87FA2-A9DB-494A-ABFA-A252D3F8B43C.jpeg
#1 I have not modified the burner at all
#2 I added a gasket all the way around both doors using RTV
#3 did not add one
#4 the cast iron pan I put in didn’t get hot enough to do much

I cut the slats (too vent) out and added a hood, 5x4 reducer and 4” 90 straightened out with a damper in it.

The air flow through these smokers sucks that’s why I nodded the top vent, the burner was off 2/3 of the time and not enough smoke.

You can throw the chip tray and bracket that it came with away it’s junk. I just modded the top vent today and test fired it this afternoon, works like a champ it will burn more propane but wasn’t a big concern for me.

* I turn the side burner on the grill on and get the wood chunks rolling before putting them in the smoker

Looking at the burner pic I should have cleaned the damn thing out before that pic lol.

Reactions: MeatMonger
I smoked a brisket today and it was a chore keeping the temp at 225. I added some screws to the burner but that didn't help any... The knob was damn near set to off and the smoker temp was 220.

I did remove the heat shield and sat a #8 cast iron skillet on a grate from my gas grills side burner. Worked flawlessly I was able to get good smoke at extremely low temperatures.

I'm not sure what your vent stack pipe is for... Can you elaborate on that please?

Attachments

• 0329190906.jpg
    0329190906.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 27
83F88FAA-15B9-45BD-A36C-2F78586C6B86.jpeg
I had a problem producing smoke and keeping it rolling consistently

the problem I had was once it was up to temp the burner would kick on for 2-3 min and shut off for 6-8 min, which the wood chunks would pretty much stop smoking by time it kicked back on. The mod I made to the top vents the burner is on damn near all the time (depending on damper position) keeping the smoke rolling.
I set mine to 210-15 on the dial to get 225 at the rack just below the temp sensor. I don’t worry about the temp stated on the knob a bit as long as I can get the temp inside I’m looking for. (Temp on knob is going to change depending on how much smoke and crap gets on the probe, keep it clean as you can)

Keep a spray bottle of water around Incase your wood chunks catch fire from being on the burner (don’t happen that often). A Bluetooth thermometer is of great help

Reactions: MeatMonger
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky