Masterbuilt Smoker Advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

egp0323

Original poster
Jul 4, 2023
I have a Masterbuilt Adventure Series 30" Propane Smoker This one. I bought it at the end of 2020 (thanks Uncle Sam for the stimulus money) and used it a couple times. Right away I had a problem with it staying lit, reached out to Masterbuilt and they sent me a new flame sensor assembly, I replaced it. Have only used it a couple times since then, but this past weekend tried to smoke some ribs and cornish hens. What should have been a 2 to 3 hr smoke turned into a 5 hr smoke as I couldn't keep it lit.

Problem 1, I couldn't keep it lit, the slightest breeze would knock it out, I see from reading on here people using sheet metal to block in around the legs, I hadn't thought of that idea, my plan was to get a couple 4x4 pieces of plywood and create a wind break, but maybe the sheet metal is a better idea.

Problem 2, as others brought up (with similar smokers), the chip tray is flimsy and requires reloading a few times, I switched to using an aluminum loaf pan filled with chips, set directly on top of the burner cover, but I really didn't seem to get any smoke coming out, when the meat was done, there was almost no smoke flavor to the ribs, should this work, or might I consider something else? I did just see those smoker tubes posted elsewhere, I might consider that idea too.

When the ribs and hens were done, the ribs had very little smoke flavor, and due to the constant relighting, we couldn't trust the doneness of the hens, thought of tossing them in the oven, but the wife was still concerned so we pitched them.

Am I on the right path?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky