Masterbuilt Pro Propane Smoker

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by proctor, Apr 13, 2015.

1. proctor

proctor Newbie

Hello all,

I just purchased a Masterbuilt propane smoker. Ive used it twice so far and meat has turned out pretty good. The only problem im having is i cant keep the temp steady around 225. it likes to jump from 200- 260. Any help would be great.

Thanks

2. cmayna

cmayna Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Are you using just the thermometer that came with the smoker?   If so, I would not trust it until it has been tested.   Also if the doors do not have a insulation strip around the openings, I would install one via either a fireplace rope or a gasket sealant bead.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  3. proctor

proctor Newbie

I used a digital. The one it came with is way off. Doors are not insulated.

Thanks.

4. bworthy

bworthy Smoke Blower

Search on here for modifications for this smoker, there are several things that will help with temperature. I have the Masterbuilt Pro Dual Fuel and made a couple mods. I have sealed my doors with Nomex, replaced the regulator with a Bayou Classic 0-30 psi regulator, sand in the water tray and use a cast iron skillet for the wood chunks. The regulator change has really helped get the temps to stay 225* F.

5. [​IMG]   Good evening and welcome to the forum, from a warm and rainy looking day here in East Texas. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary