Masterbuilt gen 2 40" issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sorry i didn't respond sooner. Haven't been around in a while.

I never called masterbuilt to get the new tray. Just lazy, and a bit pissed I guess. I learned from a guy to use smaller wood chunks instead of chips. Works well. Hasn't caused a fire yet.

I just bought a bag of chunks and cut them down to "finger" size pieces. I put one in at a time and no fires. But every time I add one it goes through a stage at the beginning where it's thick white smoke. I finally gave up and just bought the amzn. Great purchase!

The AMNPS can be finicky but once you figure it all out its awesome. Used it all summer long!

Feel free to ask anymore questions you have. I'll do my best to get back and answer them.

I finally got around to installing the retrokit chip tray/holder into the MES.  This time, there was no fire or any discernible flames coming out of the tray that I could see.  So I guess it does work, although the trade-off is the need to reload the chips much more often.  I'll have to run a few more tests, maybe at a much lower temperature to see how it performs.  Even though I'm getting an AMNPS, I'd still like to have the option to use the built-in chip tray if needed.

Interesting. I really should contact them about getting the new tray. I just gave up after a few fires, and the pellet smoker working so damn good. Any updates on the new tray would be appreciated, and also what do you think of the pellet smoker? Awesome isn't it?

Hillbillyrkstr - How do you get your AMNPS to work so well?  I'd love to know your secret because I can't keep mine lit.

Where do you place it in your MES 40 Gen 2? How far do you pull out the chip tray, if at all?  How far do you pull out your chip loader, if at all, How wide do you open the upper side vent?

I can't seem to keep my AMNPS smoking.  My upper side vent is wide open, I've taken out the water bowl and put the AMNPS over the square water hole in the drip/heat shield between the lowest rack and the drip/heat shield.  I've pulled the chip tray out 1.5 inches and the chip loader out 1 inch, 2 inches, and all the way out.  But it still doesn't stay lit.  I start my AMNPS with the torch for 1min to make sure my oak/cherry pellet mix is started.  I then let is stand for 10 min and it is smokes great out in the open. Once I put it in my smoker, it smolders for a while but then goes out.

Please help.

Coyote,

I put the pellet smoker underneath the water pan. That way it's covered from the meat drippings.

I've had a few issues with keeping it lit, but not many, and all have involved cherry wood pellets. I've learned you have to mix the cherry because it doesn't burn as easy as the other wood pellets. But honestly even when I mix the cherry with oak, or hickory I have issues with keeping it lit sometimes.

The only other issue I've ever had keeping it lit was during a storm when I had to move my mes 40 just inside the garage. Wasn't enough air flow, even with the chip loader all the way out. I ended up putting a box fan down and blowing air towards the chip loader opening and it worked well.

Overall I'd just assume avoid the cherry pellets. Others on this forum will tell you they are hard to burn as well.

I keep the chip tray out about an inch and the loader out about 2 to 3 inches.

Good luck and ask me anything you want. I'll be happy to help.

By the way my latch just broke off my mes 40 last weekend. Had to bungee it shut for the smoke. I've had the smoker for maybe 8 months.

In those 8 months I've learned master built sells smokers with internal thermometers that are no where near accurate, chip trays that catch fire consistently, and latches that break after a dozen or so uses. In simpler terms they sell over priced, pieces of sh*t.

Yeah maybe I'm a little bitter. But for the price this thing shouldn't have the problems it does, and I'm far from the only person who's had these issues. After two smokes I realized I needed a pellet smoker just to avoid fires.

I have a 1st Gen(had to rewire it when the old wires corroded out) Been burning chunks in the tray for years. Just cut them to size with a chisel.

I cut up some apple wood chucks and they burned pretty good. I was still afraid of the fire issue though, so it really takes away from the ability to walk away for a while (which is why I bought it).

Chunks are the way to go. Basically if they fit into the loader and will drop into the tray you're good to go. I make them about an inch and a half around and 3 to 4 inches long. They'll last you a good hour and a half to over 2 hours. Dont worry about fire. The reason that chips flare up is because they tend to be tinder dry, flavorless crap.
I've also pulled the restrictive side exhaust out if the mes and put a damper into an adjustable 4 inch elbow from depot / lowes and allows it works great for better airflow. Everyone forgets that you need flow on both ends of the airstream. You can open the loader as far as you like but if it has no where to go it doesn't help. If you don't want to use the elbow you can also dremel out the stock exhaust to double the area. That helps also.

I use chunks that are more or less the size of a finger. Maybe a little thicker. Buy a bag of chunks and use a hatchet or a hammer, and a chisel to cut them down. I start with 2 chunks and probably add one or two every hour or so. If you don't want to add wood that often buy an amazn pellet smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky