Masterbuilt 1050 Slight Mod

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rexster314

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 7, 2012
Texas Gulf Coast
So a couple of months ago, I gave up on the app for the Masterbuilt 560. No matter what I did, I could never get a wifi connection for the grill, even using 4 different Android devices. I tried a friend's iPhone that connected immediately, so I know it wasn't the controller. So I went the Fireboard route. It worked/works perfectly, with tighter control of the grill than the Masterbuilt controller. So when I got a new 1050 grill, I switched over the Fireboard to the 1050.
I bought an abs printed faceplate that adapts the Fireboard to the hole left by the Masterbuilt controller. The only problem was standing on my head trying to connect the temp probes. I fabricated a jack panel several days ago, and got everything mounted today. I made 4" connectors from the Fireboard to the panel with plugs for the probes.
The probes showed a negligible difference in sensitivity after making the connections. Now I have a far better controller for my Masterbuilt with 5 extra probes and easier access for plugging them in

Attachments

• 2020-05-07 17.39.08.jpg
    2020-05-07 17.39.08.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 526
Last edited:
I have a I phone so when/if I get 1 it might work without mods I hope, good thing about the electronics out there now is the cross platform uses, most have the same basic concepts as far as fans/augers ect. the more companys that get into it the better the prices

So a couple of months ago, I gave up on the app for the Masterbuilt 560. No matter what I did, I could never get a wife connection for the grill, even using 4 different Android devices. I tried a friend's iPhone that connected immediately, so I know it wasn't the controller. So I went the Fireboard route. It worked/works perfectly, with tighter control of the grill than the Masterbuilt controller. So when I got a new 1050 grill, I switched over the Fireboard to the 1050.
I bought an abs printed faceplate that adapts the Fireboard to the hole left by the Masterbuilt controller. The only problem was standing on my head trying to connect the temp probes. I fabricated a jack panel several days ago, and got everything mounted today. I made 4" connectors from the Fireboard to the panel with plugs for the probes.
The probes showed a negligible difference in sensitivity after making the connections. Now I have a far better controller for my Masterbuilt with 5 extra probes and easier access for plugging them in
Where did you get the ABS panel to install the fireboard onto the 1050?

I got the ABS control panel for the fireboard, thanks for the help. One more question, did you use the fan drive cable from fireboard or make your own?

You have to get the Drive cable from Fireboard, either the plain or one with a small speaker, 79-89$. Then make your own cable if you have the inclination or buy the cable from BBQHQ for about 10$ that goes from the Drive cable to the fan connectors

I can't get a wife connection for my grill either. So I say to heck with her. Means more meat for me!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky