Master Forge from Lowes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jds22

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Central IL
I picked up my first smoker Friday. For various reasons I decided on electric and bought the Master Forge from Lowes. I seasoned it Saturday and smoked 2 whole chickens Sunday.

During the seasoning I set the temp to 230. For the duration of the seasoning the temp fluctuated between 228-232. During the actual smoking with the temp set to 240, it stayed around 235-240.

The one problem is the middle drawer which holds the smoke box and water pan. It doesn't seal completely and some smoke does leak out. I checked the seals and rails but can't seem to see why it isn't sealing. I called Master Forge this morning and they are sending me a new front door to see if that may be the problem, at no charge of course. If not, they said to call them back and we'll try something else. It's not a deal breaker as it only leaks a little. I ended up running a bungee cord around it and that sealed it. Still kind of annoying but they are working with me to get it fixed so we'll see.

029bb5d4_715117329301xl.jpg

So far I'm pleased. I just hope it holds up for the long haul. If not, I think I'll just have to man up and go charcoal.

Looks nice, Good Luck ...JJ

I bought the same smoker at Lowes last Friday. The one I bought has a latch on the door that gives it a tight seal. The owners manual came with an explanation that the latch had been added because the door wasn't sealing properly.

I bought the same smoker at Lowes last Friday. The one I bought has a latch on the door that gives it a tight seal. The owners manual came with an explanation that the latch had been added because the door wasn't sealing properly.
Right, mine has the latch too which works great. It's the middle drawer that isn't sealing properly. How well does your middle drawer seal?

Not to throw water on anyone, just saying...

Have you read the reviews on Lowes site on this smoker?
Yes which gave me some pause before getting it. But after reading some reviews of other electric smokers in this price range, they all seem to get mixed reviews.

I have a Master Forge Electric Smoker and have used it 3-4 times. The last timeI used it it took about 90 mins to get up to near 225 degrees. I realize I had a chilled turkey breast in the smoker at the time but 90 mins seemed excessive. I do not recall that happening the previous times I have used the smoker. Any thoughts? Thanks

I have a Master Forge Electric Smoker and have used it 3-4 times. The last timeI used it it took about 90 mins to get up to near 225 degrees. I realize I had a chilled turkey breast in the smoker at the time but 90 mins seemed excessive. I do not recall that happening the previous times I have used the smoker. Any thoughts? Thanks
The issue here is that you should not add food until the smoker is up to temp.  

My temp drops as well when I add the meat. How much it drops depends on what I've added. I let the smoker get up to temp first before adding anything.

With ribs it drops maybe 15 degrees and comes back up to temp within half an hour. With 2 putts just taken out of the fridge it drops by about 40 degrees and can take close to an hour to get back up to temp.

I"m curious as to how this compares to other electric smokers.

My temp drops as well when I add the meat. How much it drops depends on what I've added. I let the smoker get up to temp first before adding anything.

With ribs it drops maybe 15 degrees and comes back up to temp within half an hour. With 2 putts just taken out of the fridge it drops by about 40 degrees and can take close to an hour to get back up to temp.

I"m curious as to how this compares to other electric smokers.
I am using my Master Forge Electric Cabinent Smoker to make jerky right now, it is working great. I only expirienced 5-10 degree drop and within 10 mins it was back at the set temp of 150. The door was open 5-7 minutes while I put the woodchips and jerky in. It is hovering between 148-152.

Regards,
Ryan

UPDATE, the Master Forge was returned to Lowes for a full refund. All 3 doors started to melt around the edges and the rubber seals were cracking and melting to the chassis. Lowes took it back no questions asked.

FYI I used it probably 10 times  and smoked in the 250-275 range.

I would not recommend this smoker as a buy. Which is a real shame because the features and ease of use are really great. They just need better seals and possibly steel doors.

My search is on for a new smoker. I've narrowed it down to either a MES 30 or Chargriller Acron.

Not sure of the price for the Master Forge, but for about 300-350  you can get the MES 40. Many people here use them .

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky