Man, 50, dies after barbecue explodes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jasonflair50

Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Mt. Pleasant, SC
found this article from the UK. be careful with drum construction!

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Arti...0634?UserKey=0

Man, 50, dies after barbecue explodes

Metal drum exploded

By Claire Brooks
Published: 09/06/2008

A DAD has died after a barbecue he was making out of a metal drum exploded.
Ian Morrison was using a grinder on the 45-gallon drum when the tragedy happened.
It was understood the drum had previously contained thinners.
The 50-year-old was working on his own when the explosion happened at Ross Agri Services near St Cyrus around 8am on Saturday.
A handful of staff went to his aid but were unable to save him.
His son, also Ian, works at the same Invergarry plant as a mechanic.
It was thought his son, who lives in Brechin, was not at the premises which are also home to a light engineering workshop.
Mr Morrison, who lived near Montrose, was well known through his work with Ross Agri.
Firefighters from Inverbervie and Laurencekirk were called to the scene, along with a spe******t unit from Aberdeen.
Although other workers were in the workshop at the time, no one else was hurt as a result of the accident.
Grampian Police said that they had received a call about the accident around 8.20am.
A spokesman said: “Grampian Police confirm that along with the Health and Safety Executive, they are investigating the death of a 50-year-old man as a result of an industrial accident.â€
He said there did not appear to be any suspicious circumstances surrounding Mr Morrisonâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s death.
Ross Agri refused to comment.

Very true.
If must use a container that contained any flamable substances, Fill with water before cutting!

i just bought a 110 gallon propane tank and have a friend that works for amerigas. he said e will do the cutting for me without a problem since he dismantles tanks anyways. wooo hoooo! a net smoker now i need the jet ski trailer to put it on thanks to craigslist!

good one..... have seen a few training videos that folks have exploded while trying to cut many different tanks that had flammable or explosive product in them at one time or another. it is so possible and so dangerous... I hope this helps some to stop and think before just cutting in to anything. thanks for the thread and stay safe smokers.

oh ya, guys... keep in mind filling with water and draining doesnt always make them safe....there may still be volitile gas left behind....and filling with co may work till you start to cut the hole and introduce a rush of oxygen into the possible flammable air along with the spark/heat from cutting....any way I know many folks are successful at this... but just remember this is still dangerous and freak accidents happen every day... ok ill stop now, thanks

When I was in the Army and had to to any welding on the JP4 tankers we always had to fill them with water.
That's an AWFUL lot of water, we didn't do that very often... :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky