Making bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Carpenter Gary

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 1, 2019
Michigan
Ok,so I have 2 3.5 lb pork bellies that I have cured for 10 days,last night I cold smoked them for 3 and 1/2 hours my question is do I need to continue to keep cold smoking them or should I hot smoke them now they've been sitting a day in a refrigerator uncovered.

Hot smoke gets a faster color and surface smoke. But Cold smoke will give a deeper smoke penetration and flavor. I like the flavor and texture of Cold smoke and roll 12 straight hours of TBS at <100°F. I really don't see a reason doing a Hybrid would be harmful. It has to be X hours of Cold then Hot to maintain the Cure's bacteriostatic quality. Below is a graphic from DaveOmak...JJ

Smoke penetration in meat..... Cold vs Hot

Just got done hot smoking the bacon to 140, letting it cool down before going in the fridge
IMG_20190310_103219.jpg

Looks Real Nice, Gary!!
Nice Job.

I get my best results when I use a Smoker Temp of between 100° and 130°, for about 11 hours (1 AMNPS Load).
Low enough Temp to allow Smoke to go deep, and warm enough to get the "Hot Smoking" benefits.
Bacon (Extra Smoky)

Bear

Hybrid works! I do ours like that often. I use our cold smoker, because I like that smoke flavoring better than hot only. And then, since we like the texture of the cooked to 150, I put it in the hot smoker. I could just use the oven, but the hot smoker is right there, so...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky