Making bacon with Pop's: Flipping and massaging if vacuum sealed?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GrumpyGriller

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 29, 2021
So....I am going to be doing another round of bacon using Pop's cure as a starting point, though I often through in a few spices just to see what works :)

The last time I did it, I had the pork bellies sitting in a food safe container, covered in brine and weighted down. This time, I was thinking about putting them in vacuum sealed bags with the brine. First of all - has anyone else done that, and if so, I am guessing that flipping and or massaging them isn't really necessary?

Thanks all!

With Pop's brine or a corning brine with all kinds of aromatics.... I use zipper bags and set them in 2.5 gallon buckets. I agitate every day, but it's as easy as holding the bucket by the bail and spinning back and forth. Just 90°, not spinning round and round.

Reactions: GrumpyGriller
Everything I've read says not to Vac seal. I guess the plastic sucked up tight to the meat isn't a good thing.
I use Cambo food lugs and weigh down the meat with a plastic grate and a few ziplocks full of water.

Reactions: chopsaw
Everything I've read says not to Vac seal. I guess the plastic sucked up tight to the meat isn't a good thing.
I use Cambo food lugs and weigh down the meat with a plastic grate and a few ziplocks full of water.
Thanks - that was one of my concerns as well - I may use the sealer to just seal, but remove all of the air.

Reactions: forktender
I thought Pop's told me not to split the brine or make small batches , because it was all based on the 1 TBLS of cure 1 to a gallon of water .
Maybe I'm confused , but that's how I understood it .
I do so much of it I bought the briner buckets . They work great .
1637173430644.jpeg
Has a lock ring to keep the meat submerged .
1637173465183.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky