makin bacon Is it worth it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eppo

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Lindenhurst, NY
Just saw a thread of someone making bacon, seems like something to try. Is it worth it? Does it turn out a lot better than store bought bacon?

I'm sure i know the answer to this one, but would like to hear some opinions.

I've been thinking the same question for months. You guys who make bacon put a lot of time and effort into it. Why is it worth it? Why not just go to Costco and get the double pack of thick Hickory bacon for $12.99?

I've been thinking the same question for months. You guys who make bacon put a lot of time and effort into it. Why is it worth it? Why not just go to Costco and get the double pack of thick Hickory bacon for $12.99?
If that the case why smoke pulled pork for 16 hours when you can just go buy it at walmart.
half the fun is doing it yourself. As far as time and effort. 5 minutes to make the brine then stick it in the frig.
Two weeks later out of the frig and into the smoker and light the AMNSP . Let it go for 12 hours and done .
Knowing you made it yourself makes it taste even better.Thumbs Up

Wow, I've made some enemies here. lol

Some things appeal to different people. For me, sitting something in the fridge for 2 weeks is not appealing. But you know what, I think I'm going to give it a try and see what it's all about. You guys know me, I'm going to be very vocal about it as well as the results.

jaw-dropping.gif
 Heck Yeah It's Worth It! These older guys can tell more but when I was a Kid in the 60's, Bacon had Flavor! It was actually Smoked not injected with smoke flavor. It didn't Shrivel from a 12" strip to a 2" whisper of it's former self. And when you got Thick Cut, you couldn't see through it! I only started making Bacon in the last year since I found this Forum and can honestly tell you home made is soooo much better. It tastes like when I was a kid. The only time I use store bought Bacon is for wrapping stuff like ABT's and that is only because I don't own a Slicer...JJ

Yeah, it's worth it.  It is soooooooo much better.  My kid (2 years old) will only eat my bacon, not the store bought stuff. :-)

I grew up on a farm slaughtering our hogs, beef etc and good homemade smoked bacon. I make belly bacon and buckboard, and have an 8 lb butt curing as I type this. It will be smoked on Monday. We just polished off the last package of homemade last night in BLTs...then had to fry some from Costco. What a huge difference - no grease popping etc from the homemade, but my stove looked like it had been sprayed by a grease gun when I finished with the Costco. 

A good compromise may be to purchase thick sliced bacon from the store (e.g. Safeway 2lb prepackaged) & cold smoke it for 3-4 hours. It imparts a truly wonderful smoky flavor without all the fuss and fanfare of curing and slicing a pork belly. I do not have the time, energy nor space to get that involved with creating bacon from scratch, but I certainly applaud those of you who do!  
Amen brother, well said!

I think bacon is one of the easiest things to make because you only spend about 20-30 minutes trimming the pork belly and putting on a dry rub. Put in fridge for a week. It takes another 20 minutes to wash it off, heat the smoker, and rub some maple syrup on it. 9 hours later I pull it out.

That's pretty easy compared to pulled pork, wings, fatties, etc. My biggest enjoyment with homemade bacon is knowing that I'm not eating all the weird sugars, artificial flavorings & preservatives that the store bought has in it.

A good compromise may be to purchase thick sliced bacon from the store (e.g. Safeway 2lb prepackaged) & cold smoke it for 3-4 hours. It imparts a truly wonderful smoky flavor without all the fuss and fanfare of curing and slicing a pork belly. I do not have the time, energy nor space to get that involved with creating bacon from scratch, but I certainly applaud those of you who do!  
Doing a dry cure mix and getting my pork belly started took less than half an hour.  Yeah it takes several days to a week before you can smoke it but it takes me longer to get through the grocery than it did to get my first batch of bacon ready to cure.

Of everything I've ever prepped to smoke this has by far been the easiest.  There is no fuss or fanfare.  My wife, who has supported all of my strange smoking ventures, literally said, "You're done already?"

I guess its a state of mind.  And an unhealthy love of pork goodness...

I think bacon is one of the easiest things to make because you only spend about 20-30 minutes trimming the pork belly and putting on a dry rub. Put in fridge for a week. It takes another 20 minutes to wash it off, heat the smoker, and rub some maple syrup on it. 9 hours later I pull it out.

That's pretty easy compared to pulled pork, wings, fatties, etc. My biggest enjoyment with homemade bacon is knowing that I'm not eating all the weird sugars, artificial flavorings & preservatives that the store bought has in it.
Tell you what, you make it and send over to me so that I can enjoy it.

I wouldn't even know where to buy a pork belly. I'm sure they're not sold in grocery stores.

Tell you what, you make it and send over to me so that I can enjoy it.

I wouldn't even know where to buy a pork belly. I'm sure they're not sold in grocery stores.
Hahaha - I do have to make some more next week! We'll see
icon_biggrin.gif

I have overnighted frozen fresh sausages & smoked turkey legs to my brothers in WI multiple times!

For the bellies, ask the meat guy at your grocery store if he can order you one or if there's a local butcher around, they'll definitely have them. My regular grocery guy orders me tri-tips whenever I want some.

I have been doing my own bacon for the past year.  we ran out last month and had some store bought bacon.  In our opinion, my bacon is better hands down.  I can also slice it any thickness I want.  Once you make it, you will never go back to store bought.  It is very easy to do also.  The last batch we made was done using Pops Wet Brine and a dry rub. Taste test said that the dry rubbed bacon was better in the opinion of 6 of us.  The dry rub does come out with a saltier taste.  Don't get me wrong, the wet brine was good too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky