Lowes has Royal Oak Ridge on sale $4.99 / 15.4 lbs thru 4/18/18

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
Lowes sells Royal Oak Ridge briquettes. On sale for $4.99/15.4 lb bag, or 32.4 cents a pound. Usually $5.99 per bag.

Home Depot sells Embers, their store brand, which is Royal Oak Ridge, for $4.97/15.4 lb bag, or 32.3 cents a pound. That price is good year round.

Either one works exactly the same.

Lowes will occasionally sell Royal Oak Ridge for $4/15.4 lb bag, or 25.6 cents a pound. They just had a sale a couple weeks ago. Last year they had a $4 sale over Memorial Day weekend.

Spring is here!

IMG_20180407_182905.jpg

Usually buy embers at HD since it's across the street from my house. Works great.

Home Depot has Royal Oak Lump, 15.44 lbs for $9.97. It may be a new permanent price. Or it may increase during the summer season. Time will tell.

Personally, I buy 40 lb bags of Lazzari mesquite lump for $16.99 at Smart & Final, which is a west coast chain. I don't use lump often enough to buy 4 bags or more to get their quantity discount of $14.45/bag. The trick with mesquite lump is to take out any pieces that aren't fully charred. There's no mesquite flavor from the fully charred pieces, and very light flavor from the others. My wife is from Texas, so she has mesquite in her blood. I use mesquite chunks on occasion. Currently have a 40 lb bag of chunks out in the garage.

Interesting notice. Lazzari has their HQ in the Bay Area. Mesquite lump is everywhere out west because we don't have forests of hickory, maple, etc. We do have oak, but they are often protected. Lots or orchards too. Tons of mesquite, but most of it is from Mexico.

That lawsuit could explain why there appeared to be a mesquite lump charcoal shortage here out west in the 2015-2016 timeframe. I couldn't find Lazzari anywhere for a while. Then the price jumped 25% at the place I usually bought it in 40 lb bags. I started buying cheaper, smaller bags by a different supplier at 50 cents a pound at Winco. That matched the previous price I was paying for Lazzari. It was just by chance, when I was shopping for meat at different grocers, that I stumbled upon Smart n Final's low Lazzari mesquite lump prices.

Many folks are scared away by the word "mesquite" when it comes to lump charcoal. They've tried using mesquite chunks or splits in their smoker and didn't care for the strong and unique taste. When carbonized correctly to make lump charcoal, the volatiles that make up the flavor are burned off, leaving only the carbon. Mesquite lump is widely used in the restaurant industry, which is probably a big source of the lawsuit above. Most backyard smokers wouldn't use enough. I burn through about 500 lbs a year of charcoal, mostly briquettes. A restaurant probably uses that amount in a week or less.

About the only time I break out the lump is when I'm hot smoking whole turkeys and chickens. The trick is remembering to grab the lump! I have such a habitual process of loading my smoker I usually remember I forgot to use lump about an hour into a turkey smoke. Royal Oak Ridge briquettes can burn as lot as lump, which hasn't improved my load memory.

"Lowes will occasionally sell Royal Oak Ridge for $4/15.4 lb bag, or 25.6 cents a pound. They just had a sale a couple weeks ago. Last year they had a $4 sale over Memorial Day weekend."--noboundaries--

Ah, missed it, i'll have to keep an eye out. Been supplementing with my Stubbs and using as starter. Cheaper than Stubbs on starter and quicker to ash over in chimney. Been grabbing Embers but at $4 i'll make some room.

I have been buying Embers for a while & really like it!
Didn't know it was RO.
Now I know why it's so good!
Al

I know BD. I've been wanting to find that stuff you posted, but no luck. I remember looking for it on the Royal Oak website based on a thread a couple weeks ago and didn't find it. I want to test it against the regular Ridge to see the difference, if any.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky