Lowes has Royal Oak Ridge on sale $4.00 / 15.4 lbs extended thru 5/23/18

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks. I passed it on to the q ers at work.

Do you only run Royal Oak through your WSM? I have only ever used Kingsford blue. any advantage Royal Oak has?
No first hand knowledge but a long thread on here showed that RO help its temp longer and hotter than KF. they both produced the same amount of ash in the 24 coal test

Bargain. Just bought 2 bags for more at another store. I need to go to Lowe’s for some gardening stuff tomorrow. Thanks for the tip. B

Locally, they were limiting me to 6 bags. They were marked at 2 bags for $8. I was going to buy 8 bags to bring my stock to 32 bags, my yearly need, but that included two bags for gravy, so 6 bags was fine. I could always make another trip, too. That's what I do when there are limits.

Do you only run Royal Oak through your WSM? I have only ever used Kingsford blue. any advantage Royal Oak has?
Nowadays all I run is RO Oak Ridge thru my WSM. I had to learn how to transition from KBB to RO Ridge. The charcoal basket load is exactly the same, but use A LOT less hot charcoal to get your WSM up to temp. When I'm aiming for 225F, I fire up no more than 8-10 briquettes. I used twice as much hot KBB for the same target.

RO Ridge has made my Guru obsolete. I did a 9 hour smoke yesterday, rock solid 220-225F temp with two bottom vents cracked about 3/16". When I wanted hotter at the end of the smoke, I opened the two bottom vents completely and burped the lid. Chamber temp climbed to 292F until I was finished.

I used to get solid temps with KBB, but the last two formulation changes gave me greater swings. I have 11.5 lbs of KBB left in my stock. Then I'll use Ridge only in my WSM and Kettle.

I use less charcoal in the Kettle too since the Ridge holds temps longer.

RO Ridge is used by a lot of store brands. Exact same stuff. If the bag says anything about "Ridge," it is RO Ridge. For example, Home Depot Embers is RO Ridge. Look on the back of the store brand bag and see if it says "Manufactured by Royal Oak Enterprises." If so, it's is Ridge.

BTW, Home Depot is stocking up for the Memorial Day charcoal sale. I check the HD and Lowes websites weekly, usually on Fridays, for charcoal sales. In the last month my local HD's KBB stock has grown from 120 two packs of 18.6 lb bags of KBB, to 702 two packs! Memorial Day those two packs will be on sale for $9.97 for those inclined to use KBB after reading the above comparison between KBB and RO Ridge.

Picked 8 sacks today. I have 6, 18 pound bags of k professional stuff from Costco left. I wonder if it’s any different that what was tested above.

Does RO Ridge give off any lighter fluid taste to the food?

Does RO Ridge give off any lighter fluid taste to the food?

No, there is no lighter fluid taste to the food from using RO Ridge. I hope I am correctly assuming you use a chimney to start your charcoal.

Kingsford Professional is a merely a rebranding of the older Kingsford Competition briquette. It contained wood char, a starch binder, and borax to help release it from the briquette mold. Personally, I found that it only lasted about half as long as the Kingsford Blue Bag formula available at that time.

The formula and density of Kingsford Blue Bag has changed dramatically over the last few years. When you burn through 500 lbs a year, changes are noticeable. If was those changes that caused me to look for an alternative. If you haven't seen my test of comparing KBB to RO Ridge, check out this thread.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...n-temperature-time-and-ash-comparison.262989/

It would be prudent to have a Half a cow, and a piggy or two, in the deep freeze, for the cook-fest!
Congratulations in advance! :D
Covered. Thanks.
IMG_0038 (1).JPG
IMG_0011.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky