"Low" Sodium Canadian Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

donr

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Akron, Ohio
Has anyone ever made Lower sodium canadian Bacon. I have a couple of loins curing with TenderQuick. I was thinking of soaking one in cold water for a little bit after curing, before Smoking.
Anyone ever tried this?

I think most people soak to reduce at the the surface salt and that should help at least. You might need to use a brine with cure #1 so you can control the salt since TQ is premixed. Just did a turkey with Pops Low Salt and think I could reduce salt even further to 1/3C or maybe 1/4C per G. Alternately, I like to inject based on weight and 1% salt is perfect for low sodium. I do 10% water, 1% salt, .25% cure, .5-1% sugar if you want.

Has anyone ever made Lower sodium canadian Bacon. I have a couple of loins curing with TenderQuick. I was thinking of soaking one in cold water for a little bit after curing, before Smoking.
Anyone ever tried this?
Canadian here..what do you guys/gals consider " Canadian Bacon"..? is it the stuff covered in peameal.? if so we just call it peameal bacon and its yummy.!

I usually use pops brine where I can control the salt, or as zwiller said use cure #1 so you control the salt,

Anyone ever tried this?
As other said. It's easier to cure low salt bacon if you use cure#1 - you control the salt amounts....no need to soak after. I use 1% salt in my bacons. Not sure if that qualifies as low salt. It is less salty than any other bacon i had.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky