looking to get new smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

billy48

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
howell n.j
hey guys i'm looking to purchase a new smoker . I know this is the place to get some advice . i have a brinkman vertical charcoal one now and want to up grade . my budget is about 400 dollars. any advice would be great.

I'd also like to throw a mention out there for the 22.5 WSM. I've gotten 16+ hour long burns at 225 out of 18 pounds of regular blue bag Kingsford. Not to mention it can smoke 100 pounds of pork butt at one time if you really jam them on there (5 ten pound butts per rack). You can find the 22.5" model for less than $400 if you do some shopping around. Good luck!

If you don't need the extra space tough or dont have an unlimited amount of disposable income, consider the 18.5. From what I've been reading on here the 22 consumes twice as much charcoal than my 18.5. Just a tought.

What they said......
yeahthat.gif

The WSM is basically considered one of the best charcoal smokers you can get for under $400. If it is just you and one other person and you don't entertain much then the 18.5" is good, but if you have a large family or like to entertain then the 22.5" is the way to go. You do use more fuel for the 22.5" (if you are filling the ring), but you can fit a lot more meat on it than the 18.5". I usually just plan a weekend smoke so that I fill my racks, then vacuum pack what doesn't get eaten that night and use it for dinners throughout the week. Also if you are doing shorter smokes (10 hrs. or less), just fill the ring half way.

A lot of folks here have gotten good deals from aimtofind.com - usually folks are getting them for $360'ish with free shipping on the 22.5" or $260'ish on the 18.5".

thanks guy for all the advice . looks like the i'll be shopping this week .i'm going with the 22 if i go with the 18 i will regret it when i need the space. ..thanks again guys will post when breaking my new baby in.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky