Looking for ideas for a Brick Pit build.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Plumpo

Original poster
Nov 11, 2018
Austin TX
I'm in the the process of buying a home that looks like they abandoned plans for some kind of build in Grill in the back yard. We haven't closed yet, so not going to get too far ahead of myself with planning, so just looking for ideas and maybe for someone with experience to shoot down some of my own.

1685288731452.png

My Basic idea, Pit smoker with a steel door on the left, fireplace/pizza oven thing in the middle and wood storage to the right.

1685290357798.png

For the pit, was thinking of doing reverse flow. Adding baffles between the fire place and pit on the left and exhausting out the fireplace chimney.
1685290677572.png

Would need to get a proper cover for the fire place when smoking, but would like the ability to remove or slide it out of the way to just use the fire place on its own. Maybe do a sink/storage instead of the wood storage. This probably wouldn't start happening till 2024, so lots of time to find out how out of code and bad this whole idea is, but figured I would ask like minded people before hiring someone to consult on the code work.

Was thinking about welding up at least the top door, and maybe getting a big stainless steel sink or just do the bottom with like a big water heater drip pan. Was just thinking of something to make it easier to drain if needed.

Thanks for your time and consideration and I am available for hire as a graphic designer. These amazing skills could be put to use for your next project!

Last edited:
Reactions: 02ebz06
Looks like you would have a very nice area to work with.
Worst case, you could rip out all the brick work and do it the way you want.
Keeping smoke away from the white ceiling will be a challenge.
If you are going to get a large wood fired pizza oven, you will need lots of wood.
Best of luck if you get the place.

This was my ODK at last house. I do miss it. That pizza ove use a lot of wood.
ODK 2021-03-23_1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Cecil and Plumpo
I'm in the the process of buying a home that looks like they abandoned plans for some kind of build in Grill in the back yard. We haven't closed yet, so not going to get too far ahead of myself with planning, so just looking for ideas and maybe for someone with experience to shoot down some of my own.

View attachment 666514

My Basic idea, Pit smoker with a steel door on the left, fireplace/pizza oven thing in the middle and wood storage to the right.

View attachment 666519

For the pit, was thinking of doing reverse flow. Adding baffles between the fire place and pit on the left and exhausting out the fireplace chimney.
View attachment 666521

Would need to get a proper cover for the fire place when smoking, but would like the ability to remove or slide it out of the way to just use the fire place on its own. Maybe do a sink/storage instead of the wood storage. This probably wouldn't start happening till 20
Looks like you would have a very nice area to work with.
Worst case, you could rip out all the brick work and do it the way you want.
Keeping smoke away from the white ceiling will be a challenge.
If you are going to get a large wood fired pizza oven, you will need lots of wood.
Best of luck if you get the place.

This was my ODK at last house. I do miss it.
View attachment 666523
The smoke will definitely be a problem with that paint, we talked about putting in a hood above the area to try and keep the radiant heat from getting trapped under the deck in the warmer months. That would also help somewhat with the smoke, but most likely wouldn't stop it from turning black over time. Thanks for the food for thought.

Reactions: 02ebz06
i'd do a firebox on the left with that door, then a smoking cabinet in the center if it were me. i'd knock the brick out above the firebox and put a griddle or grate for direct cooking above the firebox. you'd need a plate/door/lid of some sort to put on there for smoking.

-oh... and a damper of some sort to control air flow on that fire box.

i'd do a firebox on the left with that door, then a smoking cabinet in the center if it were me. i'd knock the brick out above the firebox and put a griddle or grate for direct cooking above the firebox. you'd need a plate/door/lid of some sort to put on there for smoking.

-oh... and a damper of some sort to control air flow on that fire box.
Might do that route if we go for a dedicated fire pit or if we end up being ok with having it not centered with the patio. If we do go with a fireplace/heat source for the smoker, probably going to need 4 baffles in total. Fireplace door, fireplace chimney, path to smoker from fire, path to chimney from smoker. A very baffling project ..

Been thinking about doing the griddle/grate option instead of a pizza oven.

Thanks for the input!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky