Looking for bacon recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jbellard

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 6, 2016
North Louisiana
Hey folks!

Did my first batch of dry cured bacon last week and it turned out well but way too sweet. Like bacon candy.
Looking for a recipe that will give me more like store bought bacon taste.

Just found a store that has whole pork belly so help me out!!!

Thanks!

Hey folks!

Did my first batch of dry cured bacon last week and it turned out well but way too sweet. Like bacon candy.
Looking for a recipe that will give me more like store bought bacon taste.

Just found a store that has whole pork belly so help me out!!!

Thanks!
Use less sugar.Do a smaller piece an see how it taste.
Richie

Just did a big batch last month used tender quick and brown sugar. Smoked for around 11 hours. Tastes great not to sweet or salty. The slabs I coated in black pepper were even better!

I use pops brine, always comes out good, like the others said you can always adjust your sugar to your liking. if your looking for more of a store bought flavor I would say try pops brine, I think the dry cure will give you more of a country taste.

image.jpg
Thanks for the responses!
I don’t have room in the fridge to do pops brine method.

Here is what I did last time.
5lb batch

View attachment 385029 Thanks for the responses!
I don’t have room in the fridge to do pops brine method.

Here is what I did last time.
5lb batch

Those numbers look fine. That's 1% sugar - really not too much and should not have been that sweet. Is it possible you measured incorrectly? Maybe swapped salt with sugar :) Anyway, try reducing it slightly next time.

Here is diggydogs for 5#
bacon5.jpg

You can see the calculator on the right side for the meat weight
try cutting the sugar back to .75%
IMHO it should work
Richie

Thanks fellas!
Anything is possible as far as my measuring but I feel I was pretty focused since I had read that it needed to be precise measurements.
Will lessen sugar and give it another go!

I did use brown sugar, don’t know if that would make a difference

Thanks fellas!
Anything is possible as far as my measuring but I feel I was pretty focused since I had read that it needed to be precise measurements.
Will lessen sugar and give it another go!

I did use brown sugar, don’t know if that would make a difference
Yes, brown sugar will make a difference. More of a molasses taste to the finished bacon. White sugar will give you a cleaner taste like store bought.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky