Looking for a 4-pin Controller ...... anybody have a spare? Any thoughts on troubleshooting or bypassing the control panel?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hemjs01

Original poster
Dec 10, 2021
Received a Cajun Injector Electronic Smoker from a friend. Never ever used but looks like it's been sitting around for 7+ years. Took off back and bottom panels to inspect for corrosion and broken wires....nothing - all looks A-OK. I took apart the control panel, inspected and cleaned it. Nothing obvious looked awry.

I've reached out to Masterbuilt who acquired C/I years ago. They said everything has been discontinued - no parts are available. They also said they have no compatible control panels - I think that's because my unit is a 4-pin while everything I can find online is a 5-pin.

If you have a spare 4-pin control panel, please let me know.

If you have an idea how I can bypass the control panel to test all of the components, I'd love to learn how. I'm assuming one PIN is dedicated to the heating element - seems that it'll turn on if a 5+V signal is sent. There is no light nor a probe. Two of the PINs have white wire wires - the other two pins have red wires. I think the red ones are for the temp gauge and the temp coupler. Would love to see if anyone has a way to get it working without the control panel.

Should have stated that its not working. The panel beeps once when plugged in but that’s it. The display doesn’t light up - nothing.
Thanks for the manual. I do have that. Troubleshooting guide didn’t help. Parts are in fact discontinued which why I was hoping someone would know how to “hot wire” it.

thanks again

Received a Cajun Injector Electronic Smoker from a friend. Never ever used but looks like it's been sitting around for 7+ years. Took off back and bottom panels to inspect for corrosion and broken wires....nothing - all looks A-OK. I took apart the control panel, inspected and cleaned it. Nothing obvious looked awry.

I've reached out to Masterbuilt who acquired C/I years ago. They said everything has been discontinued - no parts are available. They also said they have no compatible control panels - I think that's because my unit is a 4-pin while everything I can find online is a 5-pin.

If you have a spare 4-pin control panel, please let me know.

If you have an idea how I can bypass the control panel to test all of the components, I'd love to learn how. I'm assuming one PIN is dedicated to the heating element - seems that it'll turn on if a 5+V signal is sent. There is no light nor a probe. Two of the PINs have white wire wires - the other two pins have red wires. I think the red ones are for the temp gauge and the temp coupler. Would love to see if anyone has a way to get it working without the control panel.
Hi there and welcome!

You have an option for sure. You can rewire and use a PID controller.
The rewire would need to be done so that the plug basically bypasses all electronics and feeds power to the heating element.
Guys on here do this all the time with MES units and have also done it with some odd and in units from other makers because the concept is the same.

Here is a post on rewiring an MES that should be really similar to what your unit is doing:

In short the plug of your smoker has it's wiring going to a controller board. The heating element will also be wired into that controller board.
Finally your controller is wired into that controller board.

The rewire would toss out the controller board and just connect the wiring from the plug to the wiring that goes to the element. Now the smoker simply heats up when plugged in.

ONCE REWIRED, you get a PID Controller to control the smoker.

• Smoker plugs into -> PID Controller
  • PID Controller plugs into -> wall outlet
  • PID Controller drops temp probe into -> Smoker
  • PID controller reads temp and feeds power on/off to smoker plug until smoker hits the set temp and controller will hold the temp
This is a prebuilt PID Controller from Auber that will do the job for your smoker and any smoker less powerful:

FYI, the term PID stands for Proportional-Integral-Derivative which doesn't make much sense. Really P is a setting, I is a setting, and D is a setting that all help the device control your smoker so don't sweat the name and just call it a PID Controller.

Yes the Auber PID will run you $150 but that is cheaper than a new smoker AND most importantly, the PID controller will turn your smoker into something that performs better than anything you would by brand new unless you wanna start at $1,000 and go up from there :)

I hope this info helps :)

Reactions: hemjs01
I have a controller, not a control panel out of the MES 40 that I modded. See it here ==> https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/masterbuilt-electric-project.311056/post-2270797

Part # on it is ES40BT-P-11. Smoker model is 20070215. It worked when I removed it and is just sitting here until it annoys me enough to toss in the trash.
Thanks for the offer on the controller, but that's not my problem. It's definitely a bad 4-pin control panel. Looks like I have some options to bypass with a PID.

Thanks again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky