Loin Bacon Butta

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Fueling Around

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 10, 2018
FL winter, MN summer
I've made a number of cured loin bacon.
Tried a variety of cure methods.
Tried a few smoke/cook methods.

Finally decided a basic 2% wet brine and 150 ppm nitrite cure is my preference. No sugar or other added flavors.

The single biggest change was NOT over cooking the loin. I used to take it 145° IT

Big shout out to daveomak daveomak after I read his thread Pork loin .... about pasteurization.

Finally got a chance to try it last month (March 2020) on a sacrificial 2# sirloin roast end of a loin.
Absolutely amazing. I gave away most of it to brag about my results.

The true test is if one can repeat the end product?

Restart with 3# and 2# loins. 3# loin started a week earlier than 2#.
Pulled both from brine and decided to try the bondage method. Don't have netting so tried a simple twine tie.
Air dried for 22 hours. Using a new (to me) MB pellet pooper. Learned how to get the cook chamber down to the 160° range.
Pellet poopers are not generous with smoke so I added a tube of 50/50 cherry and hickory pellets.

smoking.jpg

I think this was 2 hours into the smoke when I turned the meat.
Tube lasted about 4 hours which is probably about the time the outer temperature was 140° point and stops taking on smoke

bagged.jpg

2# loin finished first. Cooled for about an hour and then bagged.

finishing.jpg

3# loin took another 3 hours to get the IT profile.
Shut off the pooper and pulled the temp probe for the last 30 minutes.

slice.jpg

The 3# piece.
Big test is the slice and fry? This was a week after smoking to let it rest.

skillet.jpg

A few slices in the skillet for a quick warm up and slight saute.

plated.jpg

Considered Eggs Benedict, but ...
Bread fit the bacon slices better than muffins, and the belly has already grown enough this winter to obstruct the obligatory shoe shot so Hollandaise Sauce was nixed.

f-f-eggs.jpg

The 2# loin was given away to pay back for the farm fresh eggs my wife gets from a co-worker.

Thanks for looking

-John

Nice job. Belly Growth? If you ate Eggs Benedict daily, you would have a reason to skip the Hollandaise. But a couple of times a Month? Enjoy Eggs Benedict made Properly. BTW...Fresh Lemon Juice in, room temp, Low Fat Mayo with a drop of Yellow food color and a pinch of Cayenne, makes a Great Faux Hollandaise!
I catered a monthly Managers Breakfast meeting for my Wife's company. All ordered Omelets or Meat and Eggs, scrambled, over easy, etc. But ONE GUY had to have Eggs Benedict! Way too much trouble to make and hold sauce for one order, so I came up with the Faux Hollandaise. The manager complimented me on the breakfast every month...JJ

Reactions: Jabiru
That is some fine looking Canadian bacon, nice piece of work, Like! I'll check out daveomak daveomak 's link, I'm in the market for a new recipe. I'd have had the Hollandaise. RAY

Fresh Lemon Juice in, room temp, Low Fat Mayo with a drop of Yellow food color and a pinch of Cayenne, makes a Great Faux Hollandaise!
JJ, this sounds interesting. Approximately how much lemon juice to mayo? Also is it absolutely necessary for the low-fat Mayo? I don't typically keep that on hand. I'm always thinking about making eggs benedict but my Hollandaise sauce has never come out well.

JJ, this sounds interesting. Approximately how much lemon juice to mayo? Also is it absolutely necessary for the low-fat Mayo? I don't typically keep that on hand. I'm always thinking about making eggs benedict but my Hollandaise sauce has never come out well.

Been awhile but I just added Lemon Juice to taste. I only posted Low Fat for those concerned. I used regular old Hellman's. Any quality Mayo will work. I seem to remember using about a 1/4C of Mayo and Lemon to taste for 1 serving.The sauce thins a bit as it heats up on the eggs, but you can add a tiny bit of water if needed...JJ

Reactions: Sowsage
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky