Local source for competition rubs and injections

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

azhunter

Original poster
Anyone know of a local supply of competition rubs or injections? I'm looking for something besides the typical grocery store brands. I really like the "Our Butts are Kickin' brand as well as the Killer Hogs brand. I like it spicy, so don't be skeered. I know I can make my own, but for small cooks for family, I just use retail stuff. I'm in Phoenix BTW.

the HD near me sells stuff like that in the grills section, not sure if it's same in AZ. You can also call around to some of the smaller BBQ shops. they might sell some, or make you own and sore in airtight container (this is my option). I find the pre-made stuff quite expensive.

Anyone know of a local supply of competition rubs or injections? I'm looking for something besides the typical grocery store brands. I really like the "Our Butts are Kickin' brand as well as the Killer Hogs brand. I like it spicy, so don't be skeered. I know I can make my own, but for small cooks for family, I just use retail stuff. I'm in Phoenix BTW.

Honestly Jeff’s rub has been the best I have ever used. No msg and not a lot of salt - like most rubs out there. I had used Harvey’s rub for years, but have moved to Jeff’s. Nice thing is - you can make it yourself in whatever size batches you need...and can spice it up if you need it hot.

I think anything you can buy commercially would only approximate what goes into a competition rub. The commercial products usually include extra preservatives and anti-caking agents. Most competition teams make their own fresh each time and are continually modifying and tweaking them.

I make my own and it is much less expensive than buying something. I too only cook for a small family, but this allows me to use a rub, taste test with my family, and make minor tweaks. But then again this is something I like to do. If you are pleased with what you purchase, just use that and enjoy. The rub is only one part of the flavor profile for the finished product.

Honestly Jeff’s rub has been the best I have ever used. No msg and not a lot of salt - like most rubs out there. I had used Harvey’s rub for years, but have moved to Jeff’s. Nice thing is - you can make it yourself in whatever size batches you need...and can spice it up if you need it hot.

Thank you. I'll check it out.

Thank you. I'll check it out.
His rub ‘recipes’ are available for purchase from the web site which are the regular, Texas style rubs, and his Barbecue sauce. Have not made/tried the Sauce yet. I noticed recently that you can purchase small bottles of the rubs on Amazon - but pretty pricey in my opinion.

Well said above. There are so many "good" rubs, brines, and injections that can be found on this forum. And yes, Jeffs rubs should be at the top of the list. I've tried so many, commercial and home made, but I seem to keep going back to SIMPLE is better- and less is more. Your basic SPOG is so versatile, and a great starting place for almost anything. Most rubs will have too much of something for all purposes- I don't always want paprika in something or sugar in another or pepper in another. I will have to admit I enjoy trying different things, and therefore have a cabinet full of different kinds of paprika, sugars, salts, and numerous other herbs and spices. I would venture to say you will be hard pressed to find any serious competition BBQ'er that uses any commercial rubs or such. The fun is in developing your own; even especially if its for your own family.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky