Left curing bacon out overnight

Discussion in 'Smoking Bacon' started by truenorth71, Feb 3, 2016.

1. truenorth71

truenorth71 Newbie

Hi guys,

I goofed last night. Got out four containers of curing BBB to turn and had them all ready to put back in the fridge when one of my kids needed me. Left them sitting on the counter for 6-7 hours before I found them this morning. They were still cold enough to have condensation on the outside of the containers so I put them back in the fridge. I keep my house fairly cool 68 degrees, and the bacon has been curing for 4 days. So far the wet cure looks fine - not ropy or discolored or anything. Assuming no bad smell when I open the bags, do you think I will be safe? Or is it cut and dried that I should throw it all away?

2. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I don't have an answer for you, but I can give this a bump so maybe one of the gurus will chime in here...

3. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

You are fine. Sealed bags, in cure with salt, etc and warming took time. Realistically the meat was only above 40° a few hours and in no danger of bacterial growth. Keep them cold and finish the job with confidence...JJ

4. truenorth71

truenorth71 Newbie

Great!  That's what I was thinking, but I just wanted tot make sure.  Really appreciate it!